Travel Insurance for Sri Lanka
The heart of the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is an affordable travel destination for your international trip. The island country - naturally shaped as a raindrop on the globe - has many attractions consisting of mystic Buddha temples, serene beaches, stunning landscapes, lush tea plantations, and exotic wildlife. From sites that depict the authenticity of the Ramayana to the countryside that reflect the natural beauty of the land, Sri Lanka has many tourist spots to spend leisurely days and create the best travel memories.
As you plan for a comfortable vacation, buy the best Sri Lanka travel insurance plan that will shield your travel budget from unnecessary spending during any emergency. It covers your expenses incurred due to medical exigencies like hospitalization as well as non-medical exigencies such as trip delays, delayed checked-in baggage, etc.
Is Travel Insurance for Sri Lanka Mandatory?
Tourists are not bound by any regulation to obtain travel insurance for visiting Sri Lanka. Yet, it is highly recommended to get one travel policy for your international journey to the country. One major reason to buy a travel insurance plan for Sri Lanka is to ensure that you are financially protected during any medical or non-medical emergency. There are exigencies like flight delays, lost luggage, sudden illness, etc., which may occur unexpectedly, leaving you in a state of anxiety and financial crunch. Sri Lanka travel insurance plan covers all the expenses you incur during this time and help you continue your international journey without worry.
Quick Facts About Sri Lanka
Colombo and Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte
Sinhala and Tamil
Sri Lankan Rupee
Country calling code
Modes of transportation
Buses, Trains, Cars, Tuk Tuk and Helicopters
No time difference
Batticaloa International Airport, Bandaranaike International Airport, Ratmalana International Airport, Mattala Rajapaksa International Airport and Jaffna International Airport
Benefits of Travel Insurance for Sri Lanka
No matter what your travel purpose is, we've got you covered to make your journey joyous and stress-free. Summarizing below the benefits of opting for the best travel insurance for Sri Lanka:
- Comfort: Having a travel insurance cover for your trip will save you, especially senior citizens and students, from the stress of traveling.
- Protection in Medical Emergency: The policy provides coverage to help you get immediate medical attention.
- Compensation in case of Mishaps: The plan offers compensation to the nominee in case of uncertain death of the insured person.
- Covers you in other Contingencies: Trip delays and loss of belongings and documentation will be taken care of under the travel plan.
- Multi-Trip Policy: If you are a frequent flyer, you can avail of the multi-trip travel policy.
- Cashless Claim Settlement: You can apply for the cashless claim facility.
- Region-specific Plans: Our region-specific customized international travel insurance plans help you to relish your trip and leave all your travel worries with us.
What is Covered in Travel Insurance For Sri Lanka?
We offer comprehensive travel insurance policies. Below is what all we covered under Sri Lanka travel insurance:
- Emergency hospitalization: In case you find yourselves in a medical emergency that requires hospitalization, the travel insurance plan for Sri Lanka will provide you complete cover encompassing IPD and OPD expenses.
- Accidental hospitalization: Get up to 100% sum insured in case of accidental hospitalization. We also cover Accidental Death/Permanent Total Disability.
- Pre-existing diseases: Sri Lanka Travel Insurance Plan will provide a sum insured for the treatment of a life-threatening condition for pre-existing diseases.
- Treatment in home country: In case you require further treatment in your home country, there is coverage for expenses for up to 30 days or up to the policy end date, whichever is earlier.
- Medical Evacuation: Get cover during an emergency when there is a need for medical evacuation to the home country.
- Common Carrier Accidental Death: A lump sum amount as compensation will be paid if the insured person loses his/her life while traveling in a common carrier/ public transport.
- Trip delay, cancellation, or interruption: You will get the compensation for the trip delayed, cancellation or interruption up to the sum insured and subject to policy terms and conditions.
- Loss of passport and checked-in baggage: Get coverage up to USD 750 for loss of checked-in baggage or delay of checked-in baggage. For delay of checked-in baggage, you will get the cover for up to USD 100. In case of loss of passport, the plan offers a cover of up to USD 300.
- Up-gradation to Business Class: For a comfortable journey, if you require an up-gradation to business class, you will receive coverage of USD 1,000 under the Sri Lanka travel insurance policy.
Under international travel insurance, you are also eligible for personal liability cover and coverage for the return of the minor child.
What is Not Covered in Sri Lanka Travel Insurance Plan?
It is beneficial to check the exclusions of the travel insurance policy. Some of the exclusions are given below:
- Expenses of treatment of HIV/AIDS/ other transmitted diseases are not covered under Sri Lanka Travel Insurance Plan.
- Expenses arising out of hazardous activity, the influence of drugs or alcohol, or consequences of war/nuclear perils.
- Costs incurred due to exposure to ionizing radiation or contamination.
- Expenses due to treatment of self-inflicted injury, suicide, etc.
- Any liability related to any professional services offered by the insured
- Expenses incurred by engaging in business activities
- Costs incurred due to ownership of any aircraft, watercraft, motor vehicle, etc.
- Personal liability of the insured towards another individual (whether personal, official or commercial).
- Expenses due to wrongful detention, false arrest, wrongful eviction, defamation or mental trauma and shock resulting from such situations.
- Costs incurred due to encroachment of intellectual property rights like patent, copyright, and trademark.
- Liability related to possession of animals, insects, bird and reptiles and their byproducts
- Expenses arising as a result of an insured person engaging in Breach of Law
Why Should You Select Care Travel Insurance for Sri Lanka as Your Insurance Partner?
There are many options available in the market when you browse about travel insurance for Sri Lanka. But, your confusion ends with Care Travel Insurance. You can trust us as your insurance partner for the below crucial reasons:
- Offer comprehensive coverage for medical and non-medical travel risks
- Immediate cashless hospitalization is possible under our travel policy coverage
- Our claim process is simple and hassle-free
- Readily support by our customer support team
- Region-specific travel insurance plans at an affordable premium
- Customize plans available for single or multi-trip with global acceptance
- Buy our travel insurance online while sitting in the comfort of your home
- Physical contactless and paperless travel insurance plans
Eligibility for Sri Lanka Travel Insurance
Check the below eligibility criteria according to the plans:
|Travel Insurance Plans
|Explore - International Travel Insurance
||The minimum entry age is one day.
The minimum entry age of a proposer is 18 years or above.
The maximum entry age for an adult is as specified in the plan.
|Student Explore – Student Travel Insurance
The minimum entry age is 12 years.
The maximum entry age is 40 years.
Please refer to the prospectus for more details on eligibility.
Premium for Sri Lanka Health Travel Insurance
The -health travel insurance premium is based on factors such as your age, destination country, duration of the trip, and type of coverage opted for.
Types of Sri Lanka Visas
- Tourist Visit Visa: International tourists who are visiting the country for various purposes like tourism, relaxation, meeting relatives, etc., must avail of the tourist visit visa. It can be availed for double entry and has a validity of 30 days. This type of visa can be renewed twice, with 30-day validity for each time.
- Business Visa: Foreign nationals who are visiting the country for business purposes for a short time duration should avail of Business Visa. It can be availed for a single or double trip and has a validity of 30 days.
- Residence Visa: Foreign nationals can obtain a residential facility in Sri Lanka by applying for Residence Visa. This type of visa is further categorized into Employment, Investor, Religious, Student, Family Members of Sri Lankan Nationals, etc.
- Student Visa: Those traveling to the country for study in Sri Lanka can opt for a Student Visa, which has a validity of 5 years.
- Transit Visa: It is an entry permit that can be availed by those traveling to another destination via Sri Lanka. It is valid for 2 days.
Visa Procedure for Sri Lanka
The procedure for applying for a visa or eTA (Electronic Travel Authorisation) is mentioned below:
Step 1: Select the type of visa and the purpose of your visit
Step 2: Fill in the application form with relevant details
Step 3: Submit the required mandatory documents to the Sri Lankan Embassy
Step 4: Make payment of the required visa fee
The documents required include:
- Passport with validity of a minimum of 6 months
- Scanned copy of the first and last pages of the passport
- Confirmed return air ticket
- Proof of confirmation of hotel
Tourists can apply for a visa online by accessing the Sri Lanka electronic visa website, at the Sri Lankan Embassy in your country, or at the Bandaranaike International Airport.
Sri Lanka Travel Guide
Sri Lanka is an ideal vacation destination for any time of the year. However, the period from November to April is a favorable time for many international tourists to visit the western and southern parts of the country. If you are planning to visit east and northern Sri Lanka, visit during the months from April to September. Avoid visiting during October and November, which is the monsoon season.
When packing your essentials, do include comfortable shoes, light woolen clothing as well as trekking gear if you are visiting the central highlands. Make sure you have dressed appropriately when paying a visit to any temple or place of worship. A sarong is ideal for women travelers.
You will get plenty of options for budget accommodation and transportation. For exploring the cities in Sri Lanka, it is best to hire a tuk-tuk that is an economical option. The fare for a day would be around 20 USD.
Top Places to Visit in Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka is a neighboring country of India. The presence of the Gulf of Mannar and the Palk Strait separates it from the subcontinent. Officially called the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, the country has been recognized amongst the 25 biodiversity hotspots across the world. There are several wildlife reserves that depict the rich flora and fauna of Sri Lanka. Adventure enthusiasts will find many locations for activities like cave treks, rock climbing, snorkeling, speed-boating, surfing, paragliding, etc. For the more sober travelers, there are plenty of options, including luxury resorts, beaches, shrines, and museums. Overall, your trip to Sri Lanka will make for an enthralling lifetime experience.
- The Dambulla Cave Temple: Temple of Dambulla Golden temple is tucked in central Sri Lanka. Regarded as a World Heritage Site, it is the most expansive temple complex in the country where you will find precious paintings and statues of Lord Buddha.
- National Museum of Colombo: The Sri Lanka National Museum is a must-visit place in the country. Do not miss the manuscripts in diverse languages inscribed on palm leaves.
- Yala National Park: See the country’s fascinating wildlife at the national park which is a huge area consisting of lush grass-covered terrains and forests, lagoons and shoreline. It is located in the town of Hambantota in southeast Sri Lanka.
- Bentota Beach: Spend relaxed moments at this sprawling beach, go on a boat cruise or visit the Kosgoda Turtle Hatchery for a splendid vacation experience.
- Jaffna: Nestled in northern Sri Lanka, Jaffna is referred to as the city of temples where you will find centuries-old monuments and the famous Jaffna Fort constructed by the Portuguese.
Other Travel Insurance Plans: