Australia Travel Insurance
Enjoy snowboarding and skiing in Australia's snowy terrains or admire the coral reefs at the iconic Great Barrier Reef. Spend time at the beaches, go surfing, explore the nightlife, experience fine dining and create unforgettable travel memories. Whether you are embarking on a leisure trip or traveling for business purposes to Australia, do not overlook the need for Australia travel insurance that will financially enable you to handle any medical or non-medical exigency.
Whether you are planning a honeymoon trip to Tasmania or a visit to your extended family, or considering a professional or educational opportunity there, the one factor you need to consider earnestly is procuring Australia travel insurance from India for your trip.
Is Australia Travel Insurance Mandatory?
Australia travel insurance from India is not a mandatory requirement. However, before you decide to travel without one, it is worth considering the pros and cons of opting for one. A medical emergency in a foreign land can substantially affect your spending power, especially in a country like Australia where healthcare is rather expensive. Hence, during a medical emergency, travel insurance for Australia comes in handy. Moreover, it serves as a backup plan for several other emergencies and helps ensure hassle-free travel.
Quick Facts About Australia
Country calling code
Modes of transportation
Train, Light Rail or Trams, Buses, and Ferry
Time difference (Australian Capital Territory)
5 Hrs and 30 Minutes ahead of India
Canberra Airport, Darwin International Airport, Cairns Airport, Sydney Airport, Brisbane Airport, Adelaide Airport, to name a few
AustraliaTravel Insurance Plan (Explore)
If you want to buy a travel insurance plan to visit Australia, Explore - International Travel Insurance Plan is the right choice. It takes care of your travel worries and offers some unique benefits that make it one of the best travel insurance for Australia from India.
Highlights of Australia Travel Insurance Plan
The following are some important highlights of this plan:
- Comprehensive Plans for Travel Insurance
- Innovative features and coverage choices
- Region-specific plans
- Medical and non-medical emergency support
- Refunds if the trip is shortened
- Frequent flyers get multi-trip insurance
- Policy duration flexibility up to a maximum of 365 days
What is covered under AustraliaTravel Insurance?
Travel Insurance for Australia is designed to cover your travel-specific risks. Check below what all it covers:
- Emergency Hospitalization: If you find yourself in a medical emergency that requires hospitalization, the travel insurance plan will provide you complete cover encompassing IPD and OPD expenses.
- COVID-19 Coverage: We offer COVID-19 coverage so that you can enjoy your trip without the pandemic fear.
- Personal Accident: Travelling abroad can bring many uncertainties, and accidents are among them. Keeping in mind such worries, we cover Accidental Death/Permanent Total Disability that require urgent and immediate medical attention.
- Dental Treatment: If any injury is caused to your sound natural teeth or you have any acute pain, do not worry! We cover medical expenses for such dental treatment so that you can keep your million-dollar smile as is.
- Pre-existing Diseases: Our travel insurance plan will cover the treatment of pre-existing diseases in case of a life-threatening condition.
- Common Carrier Accidental Death: A lump sum amount as compensation will be given if the insured person loses his/her life while traveling in a common carrier/ public transport.
- Trip Delay, Cancellation, or Interruption: You will get compensation for the trip delayed, cancellation, or interruption up to the sum insured.
- Loss of Passport and Checked-in Baggage: Get coverage up to USD 750 for loss of checked-in baggage or delay of checked-in baggage. For delay of checked-in baggage, you will get the cover for up to USD 100. In case of loss of passport, the plan offers a cover of up to USD 300.
- Up-gradation to Business Class: If the medical practitioner certifies that the insured person needs to be hospitalized for at least five consecutive days and should go back to the home country, we cover reasonable expenses for up-gradation from economy to business class.
- Personal Liability: If actual legal liability arises on account of the insured person's negligence for which civil claim is made or suit brought against the insured person by the third parties, we cover it too.
- New Coverage Benefits: We have widened our horizon and offer coverage for Missed Flight Connection/Hijack Distress Allowance/Automatic Trip Extension to keep you at bay from unnecessary stress.
- No Maximum Age Limit: There is a no-entry age for travel insurance. You can opt for it even for your one day only child as well at an affordable premium.
- Policy Extension: No need to buy a new policy again and again for the same trip? You can extend the same policy up to the maximum trip duration of 365 days.
- Refund of Visa Fee: We refund your visa fee if your visa got rejected for no fault or negligence. It is an optional cover.
- Adventure Sports Coverage: Adventure sports bring excitement and thrill, but at the same time can cause injuries too. We offer adventure sports coverage so that such injuries won't ruin your fun.
- Repatriation of Mortal Remains: We bear the costs of repatriation of the insured person's mortal remains back to the home country for local burial or cremation.
Refer to policy T&C for more details.
>> Check: Explore - International travel insurance to know more about the Inclusions and Exclusions.
What is Not Covered Under Travel Insurance for Australia?
The travel insurance for Australia from India also has exclusions. Below are the conditions/medical procedures/treatments/diseases/that are not permissible under policy coverage:
- Any diagnosis of diseases/undergoing surgery/occurrence of an event, whose signs or symptoms occur within the first 30 days of policy period are not covered in international travel insurance for senior citizens.
- Expenses attributable to self-inflicted injuries, such as suicide, attempted suicide, etc.
- Expenses arising out of or attributable to alcohol or drug
- Medical expenses incurred for transmitted diseases such as AIDS
- Treatment arising from or traceable to pregnancy and childbirth, miscarriage, abortion, and its consequences
- Infertility treatment and in vitro fertilization cannot be claimed
- Expenses incurred for the treatment of congenital disease (diseases or disabilities occur due to congenital disabilities)
- War, nuclear attacks, riots, and strikes are permanent exclusions.
- Plastic surgery, cosmetic treatment, and implant are also not covered under an overseas travel insurance policy.
Benefits of Travel Insurance for Australia?
Whether it is a leisure, business, or study trip, we've got you covered to make it stress-free. Below are significant benefits of opting for travel insurance for Australia from India:
Comfort: Having a travel insurance cover for your trip will save you from the stress of traveling. The best thing is you can buy travel insurance online.
Protection in Medical Emergency: The policy provides coverage to help you get immediate medical attention.
Compensation in case of Mishaps: The plan offers compensation to the nominee in case of the insured person's uncertain death.
Covers you in other Contingencies: Trip delays and loss of belongings and documentation will be taken care of under the travel plan.
Multi-Trip Policy: If you are a frequent flyer, you can avail the multi-trip travel policy.
Cashless Claim Settlement: You can apply for the cashless claim facility.
Region-specific Plans: Our region-specific best travel insurance India plans help to relish your trip and leave all your travel worries with us.
Eligibility for Australia Travel Insurance?
Check the below eligibility criteria according to the plans:
| Travel Insurance Plans
|| Eligibility Criteria
|Explore - International Travel Insurance
The minimum entry age is one day.
The minimum entry age of a proposer is 18 years or above.
The maximum entry age for an adult is as specified in the plan.
|Student Explore – Student Travel Insurance
The minimum entry age is 12 years.
The maximum entry age is 40 years.
How to Choose the Best Australia Travel Insurance?
Here are a few points to consider when selecting a travel insurance plan to Australia:
- What is the type and frequency of your trip? - Frequent fliers should go for annual plans; others should go for a single trip insurance plan. There are special plans for senior citizens and students.
- What is the likely duration of your trip? - The shorter the trip, the lower the premium. So, opt for the plan as your trip duration for Australia.
- What is your past medical history? - The premium will be higher for smokers and regular drinkers. If you have any serious ailment, ensure that the policy covers it.
- Do you plan to try adventure sports? - Australia has much to offer to adventurous travelers, but these sports may increase the risk of injury. Make sure your travel insurance plan includes such injuries in the coverage.
What is an Overseas Visitor Cover?
An overseas visitor cover is for those traveling to Australia without travel insurance from their residence country. While most visitors take travel insurance for Australia from their home country, some visitors have expressed their faith in Australian brands that provide travel insurance for visitors. Australian citizens often buy these policies for friends and family visiting the country. However, you need to bear in mind that such policies expire when you reach immigration on departure. Besides, they have several clauses like the age limit and travel scope. The policy must be bought within a specified time frame of entering Australia, and there is a waiting period for medical claims.
Types of Australian Visas
There are various classes and subclasses for Australian Visas. The main types of Australian visas are:
- Visitor Visa: This type of visa is for temporary entry for tourists. People traveling on visitor or tourist visa can stay in the country for a period of 3, 6, or 12 months.
- Student Visa: You must apply for a Student visa (subclass 500) if you plan to study in Australia.
- Work Visa: Work Visa or Business Visitor Visa is for those people who are traveling to Australia for business purposes, government visits, conferences, seminars, job interviews, and professional examinations.
- Citizenship by Descent: You are eligible to apply for Australian Citizenship by Descent if you were born outside Australia or one of your parents was an Australian citizen at the time of your birth.
- Spouse Visa: You can avail of various migration visas like Spouse Visa, Child Visa, Dependent Child Visa, etc.
- Resident Return Visa: With this visa, you are eligible for traveling in and out of the country as many times as you need, so long as the visa remains valid.
- Transit Visa: This visa allows you to stay in the country for a maximum of 72 hours.
If you are applying for an Australian visitor visa, you must get health insurance for the period you are visiting the country.
However, citizens of some nations, like in countries that have bilateral agreements with Australia, are exempt from getting health insurance as they would be covered under Medicare. The nations include the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, Belgium, Sweden, Netherlands, Finland, Norway, Malta, and Italy.
How to Apply for an Australian Visa?
You can apply for an Australian visa in a few simple steps. Here is a brief outline:
- Step 1: Select the type of visa which suits your purpose and download the visa application form
- Step 2: Organise the supporting documentation to be submitted at the time of application
- Step 3: Make a payment of the visa fees via a bank draft. Service charges will need to be paid in cash
- Step 4: Make an appointment online, visit the visa office to apply, and submit your biometrics.
5 Valuable Travel Tips for Indians Visiting Australia
- Online visa application: Apply for the right category of visa online after getting an appointment. Ensure that all the required documents are submitted with the application and the correct Payment for Visa Fees is through credit/debit card or demand draft.
- Plan your trip: Considering the sheer size of the country as well as a continent, you need to have a realistic plan of what you want to see. For a short holiday not more than a few weeks, try seeing fewer places.
- Sun protection: Don't take the sun for granted; you could burn your skin or, worse, get skin cancer. Apply high factor sun protection products and wear sunglasses while going out.
- Adapters: The last thing on your mind! You need plug adapters that are Australia specific.
- Insurance cover: Most Australia travel insurance policies cover you for 30 days, so don't extend your trip as you will be without protection.
Top Places to Visit in Australia
- Sydney Opera House: This is one of Australia's most famous landmarks. Located on Sydney's Bennelong Point, this is a UNESCO world heritage site. Enjoy a play, sumptuous food, or watch a movie here.
- Great Barrier Reef Marine Park: This is one of the most significant living structures on Earth and one of the Seven Wonders of the World.
- Bondi Beach: Sun, surf, and entertainment - that Bondi! It has the oldest surf life-saving club. Don't miss the Bondi to Bronte coastal walk.
- Sydney Harbour Bridge: Listed as one of Australia's most famous attractions, it is the world's largest arch steel bridge. Enjoy the mesmerizing view from the top.
- Melbourne: The second largest Australian city is a paradise for culture lovers. Some famous attractions are Royal Botanical Gardens and Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Q. Are there any policy restrictions relating to coverage of dental expenses overseas?
Only any injury caused to sound natural teeth or acute pain will be covered under the policy.
Q. Will the policy cover my medical expenses incurred in Australia?
Yes, the policy will cover your medical expenses admissible under the travel insurance for Australia.
Q. Do I need to complete a medical assessment every time I take out a new travel policy?
No, there is no medical assessment required to take out a new travel policy.
Q. Will you bring me back to my home from Australia if I get sick or injured?
Yes, we will cover the expenses incurred to get you back to India from Australia
Q. Am I covered for pregnancy under travel insurance for Australia?
No trip extension due to childbirth, pregnancy, or related complications is covered.
The sixth-largest country in the world by area, Australia is officially known as the Commonwealth of Australia. The bustling cities of Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, and Adelaide are located in Australia and attract tourists from all over the globe. The land of the Kangaroos and Koalas, Australia fascinates one and all with its expansive coastal cities, tropical rainforests, mountain climate, world-class infrastructure, and quality education. The country has a universal health care system, funded by Medicare - a universal health insurance scheme that covers all citizens and permanent residents.