Travel Insurance for Italy
Italy, the sovereign state of the Italian Republic located in the heart of the Mediterranean Sea. An iconic destination without a doubt, but travel and health risks are always there. Before you plan for an overseas trip to Italy, make sure you have the backing of an Italy travel insurance plan.
One of the Schengen member countries, Italy has quality healthcare facilities comprising private hospitals, including dental care and out-patient services. Whether international tourists or citizens of Italy, one gets access to excellent medical care. However, the costs can be higher for tourists. Having a comprehensive travel insurance policy will give you coverage for any emergency hospitalization or medical treatment.
While a comfortable trip is what we aim for, it is wise to think about the uncertainties of travel and plan for any contingency. Having a travel cover will keep you financially secured if you incur non-medical expenses in an emergency, for instance, trip delays or loss of checked-in baggage and passport.
If you are considering Italy as your next holiday destination, then get a Schengen visa and travel insurance for Italy. All the policy benefits and 24*7 customer support that you get are intended to keep you safe from inconveniences and risks.
Is Travel Insurance for Italy Mandatory?
Yes, Schengen travel insurance is mandatory to get the Schengen visa for Italy. It is one of the member countries of the Schengen zone, that’s why foreign nationals traveling to Italy are required to get overseas travel insurance accepted by Schengen authorities. A Schengen visa allows travelers to travel visa-free in Schengen countries, and travel insurance protects them in case of any medical or non-medical emergency.
Quick Facts about Italy
294, 140 Square Km
Rome, Venice, Florence, Milan
Embassy of India Via XX Settembre, 5. Rome, Italy
Phone Numbers: 0039 064884642-3-4-5. Fax: 0039 064819539.
Explore - International Travel Insurance Plan for Italy
If you want to witness the true companionship between art and architecture then, you must visit Italy. From little-known villages to great historical places, from the aroma of cheese to the finest wine, you have so much to discover in Italy. This boot-shaped country is quite safe to travel but to not immune to infections, natural calamities, loss, theft, and injuries. Thus, you should be prepared with comprehensive travel insurance to overcome medical and non-medical emergencies that can occur in Italy. Enjoy worry-free with Care Schengen travel insurance. Our overseas travel insurance offers wide coverage with minimum exclusions at affordable premiums. You can also choose our region-specific travel insurance cover online with a hassle-free claim settlement.
Benefits of Italy Travel Insurance
During an overseas trip, you need to realize the possibilities of unforeseen events. Hence, you should secure yourself and get a comprehensive travel insurance plan. Our Schengen travel insurance policies save you from an impact on your travel budget during emergencies. They provide coverage for various medical and non-medical emergency expenses while you are traveling to Italy. Our plans have worldwide acceptance. We list some of the significant benefits every traveller with an Italy travel insurance policy can look forward to:
- Comfort: Having travel insurance for Italy will save you, especially senior citizens and students, from the stress of travelling.
- Saves you during a Medical Emergency: The policy provides coverage to help you get immediate medical attention, and it keeps you secured in case of accidental hospitalization.
- Compensation in case of Mishaps: The plan offers compensation to the nominee in case of uncertain death of the insured person. It provides coverage for mishaps like accidental death, disability, and repatriation to the home country.
- Covers you in other Contingencies: Italy travel insurance helps you by providing coverage for trip delays/ cancellations and loss of belongings and documentation.
- Multi-Trip Policy: If you are a frequent flyer, you can avail of the multi-trip travel policy and be free from any hassle.
- Cashless Claim Settlement: The travel plan saves you from stress during an emergency as you can get the cashless claim facility.
- Region-specific Insurance Plans: Our region-specific customized international travel insurance plans give you adequate protection and let you be worry-free about all travel risks.
What is covered in Italy Travel Insurance Plan?
Here we have listed all the Medical and Non-medical benefits covered in the Italy Travel insurance policy.
- Emergency hospitalization: Italy Travel insurance covers the expenses for both in and out-patient treatment in an emergency.
- Cashless hospitalization: You will get immediate cashless hospitalization in any pre-approved hospitals in Israel in case of medical emergencies.
- COVID-19 Coverage: Our travel insurance plans also cover hospitalization in a foreign country due to coronavirus.
- Pre-existing diseases: Italy travel insurance plan provides coverage for treatment of a life-threatening condition for pre-existing diseases.
- Treatment in home country: If recommended by the doctors you require further treatment in your home country, we give you the coverage for expenses up to 30 days or up to the policy end date, whichever is earlier.
- Medical Evacuation: If required, you can get emergency transportation for medical evacuation to provide an appropriate medical facility.
- Common Carrier Accidental Death: We give a lump sum amount as compensation if the insured person loses his/her life while traveling in a common carrier or public transport.
- Trip Delay, Cancellation or Interruption: You will get a cover in case of trip delay and in case of trip cancellation or interruption.
- Loss of Passport & Checked-In Baggage: You are entitled to reimbursement in case of loss of checked-in baggage or delay of checked-in baggage.
- Up-gradation to Business Class: This is our unique feature. Under this cover, if you remain hospitalized for more than five consecutive days and need to be back in the home country, then up-gradation from economy to business class is provided.
- No Maximum Age Limit: There is no maximum entry age limit for buying our travel insurance. We can cover even 1-day old child as well.
- Other Covers: We provide assistance in case of loss of passport or important document and financial crunch.
What is Not Covered in Italy Travel Insurance Plan?
Italy travel insurance provides you the maximum coverage against all your travel risks. However, there are some situations guided by IRDA that are considered as exclusions, and no claim is provided for the same. Check below our exclusion list:
- Medical treatment has taken outside the Country of Residence if that is the sole reason or one of the reasons for the journey
- Any Treatment, which could reasonably be delay until the insured person's return to the country of residence
- Any dental treatment or surgery unless necessitated due to an injury.
- Circumcision unless necessary for the treatment of an illness or as may be necessitated due to an accident.
- Treatment of any Congenital Anomaly or illness or defects or anomalies or treatment relating to birth defects
- Hormone replacement therapy.
- Weight management services and treatment, vitamins, and tonics related to weight control programs, services, and supplies, including treatment of obesity (including morbid obesity)
Note: Plan features, benefits, coverage, and underwriting of claims are subject to policy terms and conditions. Please refer to the brochure, sales prospectus, and policy documents carefully.
Why is Schengen Travel Insurance Necessary to Travel to Italy?
Captivating Italy is the member country of the Schengen zone. According to the Schengen travel policies people, those who are heading towards the Schengen area needs to have Schengen travel insurance to get the Schengen visa. That is, among other mandatory documents, a Schengen travel insurance policy is a prerequisite, when you apply for the Schengen Visa.
You have the convenience of travelling visa-free within the Schengen area, comprising 26 European countries, including Italy. So, tourists visiting Italy and planning for long trips to multiple destinations in the Schengen region will find it convenient to have the Schengen travel insurance plan. The travel cover will give just the right financial back-up and strength to face any medical or non-medical exigency without any trouble.
As you explore the busy cities of Italy, your Schengen Travel Insurance will protect you against travel risks, including emergency hospitalization, medical evacuation, injury-related dental expenses, loss of passport or baggage, personal liability, or accident. Frequent flyers can also go for multi-trip plans.
Eligibility for Italy Travel Insurance
The eligibility* criteria for an international travel insurance plan will depend on the type of plan you have chosen for your trip. Check the eligibility below:
|Travel Insurance Plans
|Explore - International Travel Insurance
||The minimum entry age is one day.
The age of a proposer is minimum 18 years or above.
The maximum entry age for an adult is as specified in the plan.
|Student Explore – Student Travel Insurance
||The minimum entry age is 12 years.
The maximum entry age is 40 years.
*Please refer to the policy documents
Premium for Italy Health Travel Insurance
We offer Italy travel insurance plans at very affordable premiums. The actual amount of the premium is based on various factors viz. the number of travellers, age, pre-existing medical conditions, traveling country, trip duration, sum insured, and the type of coverage selected. You can use a travel insurance premium calculator to compare different premium amounts and customize your options before choosing an affordable travel plan.
Let take an example of a solo traveller, a male aged 30 years, without any pre-existing medical condition. If he opts for a single-trip Italy travel insurance plan for a trip duration of one month, then the average premium* would be approx. Rs 1,267, including GST @ 18%.
*T&C applied. The amount may vary based on age and other factors.
>> Calculate your travel insurance premium Now!
Why Is Italy Travel Insurance Important?
When you are far away from your home in this enchanting destination, having a travel insurance cover for your Italy trip will provide you a much-needed financial cushion and protection against travel risks. Moreover, healthcare may be expensive, and if you have an urgent need to visit a hospital, the expenses may be too high to bear. Besides, accidents or thefts are not uncommon experiences for tourists. Considering these risks, if you lose your belongings or your passport, the travel policy will rescue you by giving adequate financial coverage.
How Do I Choose the Best Travel Insurance for Italy?
Take a closer look at these factors before you finalize travel insurance for Italy:
- Inclusions: Do check the policy details to understand what is covered and know the policy benefits to ensure you get complete protection.
- Exclusions: Also, check the exclusions that will enable you to review and plan your budget.
- Claims Procedure: Understand the process to file a travel insurance claim. Check if there is a cashless claim facility.
- Sub-limits: Find out the sub-limits when reviewing the features of the travel policy.
- Premium: Do get an estimate of the travel insurance premium you have to pay to make an informed decision and get an affordable cover.
How to Get Schengen Visa?
The Schengen visa process is a bit time consuming but not that tough at all. You should follow the below-mentioned steps and get it done easily.
- You have to buy travel insurance for Schengen to get the visa. It's mandatory to get medical insurance for a Schengen visa.
- Your next step after you get Italy travel insurance is to fill an application form.
- Prepare a cover letter and mention your purpose of the visit and also give your travel itinerary.
- Collate related documents such as bank statement showing a minimum balance of €30,000 for the last six months, proof of civil status (birth certificates), employment contract, and income tax proof.
- Next, you have to book an appointment at least a month back for an interview to ensure the timely process of your visa.
- You have to appear for a visa interview at an embassy with the required documents. You should reach the venue on time.
- You have to pay the visa fee around of INR 6000 as well. It is non-refundable.
- Be prepared to know the status. It can be accepted or rejected. Discretion to approve or disapprove your visa application lies with the embassy.
Documents Required for Schengen Visa
A Schengen visa is obligatory to visit the Schengen zone. The process is not cumbersome. You need to submit all the below-mentioned documents on time and pack your bags to enjoy your journey.
- Schengen Travel Insurance
- Application form
- Proof of Date of Birth
- Address proof
- Employment Contract
- A valid passport
- Travel itinerary
- Proof of accommodation
- Bank account statement
- Income tax proof
Places to Visit in Italy
- Rome: The capital and most happening city of Italy invites you to see the footprints of Romanian culture. The Ancient Rome, Vatican Museum and Amalfi Coast are the places where you can relax, enjoy Latte and learn about Romanian history.
- Venice: This city reminds you of the great Shakespeare play
- The Merchant of Venice: This Canal city has a Grand Canal, Rialto Bridge, Basilica Di San Marco, Piazza San Marco, Lido Di Venezia, and Rialto Market to enjoy.
- Milan: The global capital of fashion and home to famous brands like Prada, Armani, and Versace, Milan is also a financial hub of Italy. The Gothic Duomo di Milano famous cathedral and artworks is a must-visit place. If you are an art lover, you cannot miss the Santa Maria Delle Grazie convent, housing Leonardo da Vinci’s.
- Florence: Witness the masterpieces of Renaissance art and architecture in Florence. The Duomo, The Galleria, Uffizi Gallery, and The Palazzo Vecchio are the most popular tourist attraction in Florence that you must visit.
Things to Do in Italy
- Pizza: You can never miss a chance to taste the authentic pizza when you are in Italy. The traditional pizzas Margherita with thick crust, Bottarga, Lasagna, Fiorentina Steak, and Truffles with ice creams are famous in Italy. So, you must try and enjoy the food delicacies.
- Shop Lavishly: If you are a shopaholic then prepare your shopping list in advance. You can shop lavishly from the grand stores of famous fashion brands. Also, you can go for street shopping in the local market for jewelry, souvenir, artworks, and wine.
- Visit Wineries: Plan your Italian wine tour in Tuscany. Tenuta Castiglioni - Frescobaldi, The Castello Banfi, and the Ricasoli are some famous wineries in Italy that you should visit and see the process of how the grapes churned to the finest wine in Italy.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Travelling to Italy: Useful Travel Tips
Here’s a travel guide to follow if you are planning a trip to Italy:
- Get travel insurance: Buy Italy travel insurance to travel safely and protect your travel budget in case of unforeseen situations.
- Bookings in Advance: Book your flights and accommodation in advance to avoid last-minute hassle
- Vaccination: The CDC and WHO recommend vaccines for Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR), Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis), Chickenpox, Shingles, Pneumonia and Influenza, Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, Rabies, Meningitis, and Polio.
- Best time to visit: The best time to visit Italy is from April to June.
- Weather: The northern part of the country experiences snowfall in the early spring. Check the weather and shop accordingly for Italy travel wardrobe.
- Currency: Euro is the official currency in Italy. Carrying a good amount of cash is recommended, mainly, when exploring the streets and local shops.
- Sightseeing: The beaches may be closed in March. In many cities, museums are free on the first Sunday of the month. Take care of your valuables when in busy areas.
- Exploring cities: Use public transportation to explore the beauty of Italy. Take a walking tour according to the city map.
- Food: Indulge in the best Italian cuisine as you will find a plethora of options at the local restaurants. Try all the variants of Pizzas
- Language: You might find a few people who speak English, French, and German. Learning a few Italian words will be helpful.
As an exceptionally prominent tourist spot, Italy has all that fascinates you. The rich heritage, lively cities, beautiful mountains, green landscapes, small villages, coffee, wine, and pizza. What else you want to keep Italy on the top of your list for your next holiday. Schengen travel insurance makes it easy for you to travel safely to this country of Latin.
Other Travel Insurance Plans