Going on an overseas trip brings unique experiences to different people. We take a lot of steps to ensure our journey is hassle-free and memorable. Getting a visa to enter a foreign country is on the top of the to-do list for everyone. You might think that a trip outside your home country would always mean applying for a visa beforehand and patiently waiting for the formalities to complete. Well, you can skip going through these tedious and long-drawn procedures if you are travelling to some countries which offer the facility of Visa on Arrival (VOA).
If you are an Indian passport holder and plan to travel overseas, you must know about the visa requirements for Indians. Visa is a document or stamp issued on passports, which is official permission given to foreigners to enter, leave, or stay in a country for a specified duration of time. For regulatory and security reasons, foreign visitors should have a visa. It helps in knowing the background of the person who is seeking entry into a country.
Some countries offer visa-free entry facility to Indian citizens, whereas there are 58 countries and territories across the globe that provide a visa on arrival for Indians.
What is Visa on Arrival for Indians?
Visa on arrival for Indians is a facility whereby the person visiting a foreign country can obtain a visa upon arriving in the destination country rather than getting it before embarking on the journey from the home country. There is no need to apply for a visa beforehand and go through elaborate procedures.
Visa on arrival for Indian passport holders is a convenient option as it reduces the last-minute hassles of obtaining a visa before starting on an international trip. It is beneficial in the sense that there is no waiting time before the visa is granted. However, to obtain a visa on arrival, one has to wait in queues at the visa counter in the destination country.
Nevertheless, not all the countries offer this facility, which is why you should know the complete list of countries with the facility of a visa on arrival for Indian passport holders. There is also a fee that must be paid by the visitor.
List of Countries Offering Visa on Arrival for Indians
The rules and requirements for a visa in many countries change frequently. Therefore, you must have up-to-date information and should verify whether or not the Visa on Arrival (VOA) is still applicable for the specified country.
Check the table below to know the countries that offer a visa on arrival for Indians:
||Trinidad and Tobago
In all the European countries, there is a requirement for obtaining a pre-approved visa for Indians. For visiting Antarctica, there is no Visa. However, Indians need to get a permit for entry.
To know more about visa on arrival countries, visit the official website of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India.
Difference Between eVisa and Visa on Arrival
The facility of eVisa or electronic visa involves an online method of obtaining a visa. Foreign travellers can get the eVisa by visiting the destination country’s eVisa website, uploading the vital document proofs, and making payment of fees as specified. They will receive the eVisa through email within a few days. The traveller must carry a print out of this eVisa when visiting the destination. An eVisa is linked to the passport number of the traveller, and there is no stamp or label that is placed on such types of visas.
On the contrary, a visa on arrival for India is a facility that ensures the traveller receives the visa upon arrival at the airport of the destination country. One can obtain this type of visa from the designated counter after showing valid proof.
Must-know Facts About Visa on Arrival for Indians
Indian passport holders travelling to overseas countries should know about the countries offering visa on arrival for Indians. Hence, it is essential to stay updated about the Visa regulations as some countries keep changing their Visa laws frequently, that too, without any publicity.
- Some countries offer visa on arrival for only tourists visa and not work visa.
- Furthermore, the period of the validity of the visa varies from one country to another.
- One should carry vital documents like a valid passport, onward flight tickets, and passport-sized photograph for obtaining a visa on arrival without hassle.
- There are some countries which provide free, on-arrival visa while some levy fees for the same.
The Significance of Travel Insurance for Indians Travelling Abroad
In many countries, such as Schengen Countries, Qatar, Ecuador, USA, UAE, and Turkey, international tourists would require travel insurance when applying for a visa.
Hence, before your international trip, it is advisable to check if travel insurance is mandatory in the country you are visiting. However, in some countries, travel insurance may not be mandatory, but we still recommend you to opt for a travel cover. Here are some key reasons:
- Financial Support on Your Trip: When you are far away from your home in a foreign land, you get vital financial support and suitable coverage for your trip. Your travel budget remains secure with a travel insurance cover. In situations like trip delays, loss of passport, loss of checked-in baggage, and personal liability, you will be covered for unforeseen expenses and saved from unwanted stress.
- Secures You in Medical Emergencies: In some countries, getting quality healthcare may be expensive. Besides, if you require emergency medical evacuation and hospitalization, the travel cover plays a crucial role. A travel medical insurance plan gives protection for accidental hospitalization and also in case of mishaps.
- Multi-Trip and Destination-specific Cover: Frequent flyers can be at ease by choosing the multi-trip travel policy. Tourists get adequate protection against the uncertainties of travelling with a destination-specific overseas travel plan.
Visa on Arrival - Regulations and Fee Structure
Mentioned below are the regulations and fee structure for Visa on Arrival for some countries:
- Sri Lanka: The island country that is located near southern India offers the convenience of free visa on arrival as well as e-visa to Indian tourists, allowing stay for 30 days.
- Vietnam: Indians visiting this Southeast Asian country can get a visa on arrival for a duration of up to 30 days.
- Qatar: Indian passport holders do not need prior visa arrangements for visiting Qatar. They can get a visa waiver on arrival for a stay up to 30 days with a validity of 180 days.
- Thailand: Indians are allowed to stay in the country for a maximum of 15 days. The visa fee payable by the visitor is 2000 THB. With modern tourist infrastructure and enchanting beaches, Thailand is a safe country offering a comfortable stay for Indian travellers. The visa on arrival service is available at international airports. One can also apply for VoA online. The visa can be obtained by providing documents such as an airline boarding pass, valid passport, recent photograph, etc.
- Indonesia: Tourists can enjoy a visa-free stay in Indonesia for a maximum period of 30 days. They can extend it for another 30 days. Indian travellers can take a tour to Indonesia, which is one of the visa on arrival countries in the world. They are required to pay a fee of INR 1,745/- for the visa. The payment of fees is acceptable in all popular currencies. The country makes for a perfect holiday destination with spectacular landscapes.
- Cambodia: The visa allows Indians to stay in the country for a maximum period of 30 days. Tourist can avail visa on arrival facility by providing their documents like valid passport, recent photograph, confirmed return air tickets. Indian travellers must pay a fee of USD 30. The visa is valid for a period of three months from the date of issue, but tourists can stay up to 30 days for a single entry visit. There is also an e-Visa facility.
- Macau: The visa on your arrival in Macau is available for Indians who wish to stay for more than 30 days. A noteworthy tourist hotspot, Macau is known for its architecture and cuisine. Visitors must carry a valid travel document, including Passport. The charges vary depending on whether the visitors - individual, family passport, children under 12 years of age, and tour group.
- Laos: The visa is valid for a stay of up to 30 days. The visa fee is INR 2179/-. Along with these, the visitors must submit their passport-sized photograph. Payment of fee can be made either in US dollars or Thai baht. Overstaying on your visa can be a little expensive. Tourists coming to this enchanting country in Southeast Asia can avail both electronic visa and the visa on arrival facility.
- Timor Leste: With a single entry visa, Indians can stay in the country for 30 days at the maximum. Tourists are required to furnish their passport, which must be valid for six months. Those flying to the country by air can quickly obtain the visa on arrival by paying a fee of 30 USD. They also have the option to extend their visa by another 30 days.
- Jordan: The visa on arrival is valid for 30 days’ stay. The visa fee is USD 60. However, there is no need to pay a fee if the visitor buys Jordan pass online. However, to avail this visa, tourists must have air tickets as proof of their return or onward journey. Along with this, they must also have a Passport with validity of a minimum of six months. Those travellers who want to extend their stay must follow the required procedures involving registering at a Jordanian police station.
- Mauritius: Visitors can stay for up to 90 days. Indian travellers do not need a prior visa for entering this island nation situated in the Indian Ocean. They can get a hassle-free entry and obtain free on-arrival visa by furnishing documents such as recent photographs, confirmed return tickets, proof of hotel booking, and passport within a minimum of 2 blank pages and 6 months' validity.
- Seychelles: The visa on arrival has a validity of90 days. Visitors should furnish their onward or return ticket and funds of USD 150/ day as well as proof of accommodation. Seychelles is an archipelago of 115 islands in the Indian Ocean and offers visa on arrival for tourists. They can also provide visitor's permit like an invitation letter as proof if they plan to stay with their relatives or friends. A valid passport with at least one blank page is a mandatory document they must carry with themselves.
- Kenya: Indian passport holders can avail visa on arrival with a validity of 90 days for multiple entries, at a fee of USD 50. The Kenyan Immigration has laid down stringent visa policy. This East African country offers visa on arrival at international ports of entry as well as e-visa. To avail the visa, visitors must have a Passport with a minimum of two blank pages and validity of six months.
- Uganda: Holders of various kinds of passports (consular, diplomatic, official, service or special passports) of any country can avail of visa on arrival with a validity of 3 months. Indian passport holders can avail on-arrival visas in a few simple steps. Some documents required to avail the visa include a passport, photograph and invitation letter (if applicable). The amount of fee to be paid is USD 50. To avoid long queues at immigration and get the visa faster, tourists can also avail for e-visa.
- Zimbabwe: Indian passport holders can get a 30-day tourist visa on arrival for Zimbabwe, with a validity of 3 months.
- Tanzania: Indians can stay for a maximum of 90 days, that is, 3 months. A fee of USD 50 or USD 100 must be paid. The United Republic of Tanzania is an east-African country that is famous for its national parks. The country offers the facility of a visa on arrival for Indians in a few easy steps. Visitors must have a passport with validity of at least six months.
- Togo: Indians can stay for a maximum of 7 days, provided they have a return or onward flight ticket. The stay can be extended for 90 additional days. Togo officially called the Togolese Republic, is a country in West Africa. In addition to flight tickets, travellers must have a valid passport and recent photograph to avail the visa on arrival facility. The visa on arrival facility can be availed at the international airport. Tourists must also pay a fee of USD 30.
- Comoros Islands: The visa has validity for 45 days maximum, and the fee is USD 50. Besides, travellers should furnish their confirmed return tickets, valid passport and sufficient funds for their travel expenses. Comoros Islands is a volcanic archipelago and nestled close to Madagascar. Getting a hassle-free entry into this country is possible by applying for a visa on arrival for Indians and electronic visas.
- Madagascar: The visa on arrival is valid for 30 days maximum, and there is no fee. The country is officially known as the Republic of Madagascar and is situated near the coast of East Africa. With the option to avail visa on arrival for Indians, entry to the country has become easy. Travellers are required to provide necessary proofs such as valid Passport and recent photographs.
- Mozambique: Indians can avail the visa with a validity of 30 days. The payment can also be made in the country’s currency, Mozambican metical. Situated in southern Africa, the country has implemented visas on arrival facility for tourists, irrespective of whether there is an embassy in their country of origin or not. One can obtain this visa at any entry point in the country.
- Ethiopia: After obtaining visa on arrival for Indian Passport Holders, one can stay in the country for 30 days at a fee of USD 50. Ethiopia is a beautiful holiday destination in Africa. The evisa is valid for a period of 30 or 90 days and allows the tourists to get a single entry into the country. It can be obtained at the airport by providing valid documents like passport, proof of sufficient funds, and a visa fee.
- Cape Verde: The visa has validity for a maximum of 30 days. This island country, located in the central Atlantic Ocean, is counted among the visa on arrival countries in the world. To get this visa, travellers should have a passport with a validity of minimum 6 months. Travellers must know the entry requirements by contacting the concerned embassy or tourist office.
- Guinea-Bissau: Indians can avail eVisa as well as visa on arrival while visiting this West African country. They can stay for 90 days, that is, three months. Indian travellers can avail both the facility and must have a letter of authorisation from the Migration Office of Guinea Bissau. In addition to this, they must have a relevant travel document.
- Jamaica: Tourists can enjoy visa-free stay in Jamaica for six months. One of the Caribbean nations, Jamaica is a breath-taking location for travellers and offers visas on arrival for Indians citizens who are among the citizens of 83 countries and territories who can avail this facility. One must have a passport with 6 months validity from the date of arrival.
- Grenada: Indians are allowed to stay in the country for a maximum period of 3 months. It is a Caribbean nation known for its natural beauty. Travellers can avail a single-entry visa by paying a fee of 100 East Caribbean Dollar and multiple-entry visas by paying a fee of 250 East Caribbean Dollar. Tourists should have a pre-clearance letter from the concerned embassy or high commission before visiting the country.
- Haiti: A tourist visiting Haiti can stay for a maximum period of 90 days. However, all non-Haitian passport holders must pay a tourist fee of USD 10 on arrival. Haiti is a Caribbean country with numerous tourist attractions. To get hassle-free entry, visitors should hold a valid passport with a validity of a minimum period of 6 months. Foreign visitors who plan to stay longer than 90 days should obtain a Residence Permit.
- British Virgin Islands: Visitors do not require a visa for their stay up to 30 days. This country is considered among the British Overseas Territories (BOTs) in the Caribbean. Travellers must carry a valid passport with them that should be valid for the proposed period of stay. Besides, they should have passport-size photographs. Also, they may have to pay environmental and tourism charges of around USD 10 upon arrival.
- St. Lucia: Indians can stay up to 6 weeks on the basis of their visa on arrival. The required fee for availing the visa on arrival facility is USD 50. One can extend the validity of the visa from the Police Department. Tourists should have enough funds for their trip along with onward or return flight tickets as well as other travel documents, including a valid passport.
- Nicaragua: Indians having a valid passport and valid Canada/USA/ Schengen Visa can avail of visa on arrival facility in Nicaragua with a validity of 30 days and fee of USD 10. Nicaragua is a country nestled in Central America and known for its volcanoes and beaches. Tourists visiting this country must have valid travel-related documents including documents supporting their purpose of visit, such as a letter from the employer in case of a business trip.
- Turks and Caicos: Indians visitors can stay for a maximum period of 90 days. This country is an archipelago of low-lying coral islands in the Atlantic Ocean and offers a convenient entry option for Indian travellers with a visa on arrival facility. The visa can be renewed only a single time. Tourists should provide supporting documents such as a valid passport and a round trip ticket.
- Saint Kitts and Nevis: Visitors do not require a visa for stay up to 3 months. The eVisa is valid for 60 days. Saint Kitts and Nevis is a dual-island nation nestled amidst the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea. The country is among the visa on arrival countries in the world.
- Montserrat: Visitors do not require a visa for a stay up to 6 months. Tourists must carry relevant travel documents, including a valid passport.
- Ecuador: The visa on arrival permits Indians to stay for a maximum period of 90 days. Ecuador offers this facility of free visa on arrival. Tourists should carry documents such as a passport with a minimum validity of six months, a return flight ticket, and proof of funds.
- Bolivia: Visa on arrival for Indians who are visiting Bolivia has validity for a maximum of 90 days. Travellers should carry documents like a passport, which must be valid for six months beyond the entry date.
- Guyana: Indians visiting Guyana can obtain a visa on arrival for a stay of a maximum of 30 days. However, they should hold an invitation letter from their sponsor or host. A valid passport with at least 6 months' validity is also mandatory.
- Dominica: Indian passport holders can stay for a maximum period of 180 days using the visa on arrival. Dominica is a Caribbean island country that is among the visa on arrival countries.
- Fiji: Indians arriving in Fiji should avail on-arrival visa with a validity of four months. They do not require pre-entry visas. Fiji is an archipelago of over 300 islands. It provides easy entry for Indians tourists who can avail the visa at the airport or port-of-entry, by furnishing documents like a passport, return or onward ticket, and bank statements.
- Samoa: Indians must get the entry permit upon arrival in the country and are allowed to stay for a maximum period of 60 days. Samoa is a country comprising of small islands which offers visa on arrival for citizens of 130 countries, including India.
- Tuvalu: Indians can stay on a visa for a maximum of 30 days. A South Pacific island country, Tuvalu offers a visa on arrival for Indians which can be availed if one has a valid passport, proof of funds, and return or onward flight tickets.
- Vanuatu: Visitors can stay for a maximum period of 30 days. Vanuatu is a South Pacific Ocean country and offers visa on arrival for Indians if they have a passport with 6-month validity. Visitors are allowed to extend the visa at the Vanuatu Immigration.
- Palau: Indian tourists can get the visa on arrival and stay for a maximum period of 30 days. An island nation in the western Pacific Ocean, Palau offers an on-arrival visa facility if visitors have a valid passport, return or onward flight tickets, and sufficient funds for their trip, which is around 220 USD per week for a person.
- Cook Islands: Indians travelling to the Cook Islands do not require a tourist visa for a maximum period of 31 days. A picturesque location in South Pacific, Cook Islands offers the visa on arrival for Indians having a valid passport, flight tickets for return or onward journey and enough funds for their trip.
- Micronesia: Indian visitors can stay for a maximum period of 30 days. The Federated States of Micronesia is a nation in the west Pacific Ocean which is among the visa on arrival countries. Foreign tourists are required to comply with passport requirements when entering the country.
- El Salvador: The validity for visa on arrival for Indians is 90 days. Officially known as the Republic of El Salvador, the country offers the tourist card facility to Indian tourists for a fee of 12 USD. Travellers must have a valid passport at the time of entry.
What are the Different Types of Visas you can Avail?
Overseas travellers should have sound knowledge about the different types of visas, classified according to the method of issue. It will ensure they face no problem in applying for one when visiting a foreign country.
||Countries that offer
|Visa on Arrival
||Indians can apply for Visa on Arrival in some countries of the world. It is a type of visa issued after a person lands in the destination country.
||Presently, 43 countries across the world offer this Visa on Arrival for Indians.
||The e-Visa (or electronic visa) refers to an electronic document issued to travellers, authorizing their entry into the destination country. One can apply it online from the home country and does not need to get a stamp, label, or sticker on passport.
||There are 36 countries that are offering e-Visa facility for Indian Passport Holders. They include Malaysia, New Zealand, Russian Federation, Singapore, and South Korea.
||An entry permit is a document issued by a country to officially permit a visitor to enter and stay in that country for a specified number of days.
||In some countries, like UAE and St. Vincent and the Grenadines Indians do not require a visa. There are issued entry permit.
Also, Indians do not need a visa to enter and stay in 16 visa-free countries including Hong Kong SAR, Nepal, Bhutan, and Trinidad & Tobago.
>> Check: Visa Free Countries for Indians
What happens if my visa expires?
The period for the validity of the visa on arrival is mentioned on the visa. It varies from one country to another. After this validity period is over, the person loses his eligibility to stay in the country, and it could result in a fine. One can apply for an extension. Upon expiry of the visa, one can follow the right procedures involving making a new visa application.
Can I extend the Visa on Arrival?
In some countries, Indian passport holders can apply for an extension of the visa on arrival by following the required procedures and showing valid proof.
What is the validity of Visa on Arrival for Indians?
The validity of the Visa on Arrival for Indians varies from one country to another. Indian tourists should check validity when they get the visa on arrival.
How much does the Visa on Arrival Cost?
Some countries provide free on-arrival visa while in some countries charge a fee for the on-arrival visa facility. So, in the visa on arrival countries for Indians, you may have to pay the fee as per their guidelines. The fee for visa on arrival differs from one country to another. It is advisable to check the information related to the fee structure before visiting the country. We recommended checking with the airport authority or the embassy before visiting a country to know about the fee structure and the currency in which one can make the payment.
How to find out if I am eligible for a visa on arrival?
To know whether you will be eligible for a visa on arrival or not, keep the following points in mind:
- Check the list of visa on arrival countries for Indians to know if the country you are travelling to is on the list.
- Ensure you have a valid passport, with a validity of period as specified by the country.
- Know about the other criteria for getting a visa on arrival in the specified country such as confirmed onward or return flight tickets, proof of accommodation, proof of funds, etc.
What is the validity of the Visa on Arrival?
The validity of the Visa on Arrival varies from one country to another. It is advisable to check the validity visa of the visa on arrival which is mentioned on the visa.
Can Visa on Arrival be rejected?
Yes, there is possibility that a visa on arrival can be rejected sometimes. So, it is recommended that you meet the requirements that include carrying the necessary documents like valid passport, confirmed flight tickets, etc.
Disclaimer: The content given above is only for reference purpose. Visa requirements are subject to change. We recommend that travellers should verify the information by visiting the country’s official website before travelling. They are also requested to adhere to the guidelines as some countries may impose travel and visa restrictions owing to the Covid 19 pandemic.