Cancer is one of the most prevalent diseases in India. According to the Natural Institute of Cancer Prevention and Research (NICPR), an estimated 14,61,427 (100.4 per 1,00,000), with a large number of female cases estimated at 7,12,176 (95.6 per 1,00,000), died in 2022. Cancer is widespread across India, with oral, breast, gastric, cervical, and lung cancers mostly affecting the population. With the increasing population, the number of cancer patients is also rising. The best oncology hospitals in Delhi ensure quality treatment for patients battling cancer.
Private and government cancer hospitals in Delhi are well-equipped with advanced treatment methods and experienced teams of doctors, making Delhi even more important as a state.
We have listed down the best cancer hospitals in Delhi NCR. Read on to know Top Private and Government Cancer Hospitals in Delhi NCR.
Top 5 Government Cancer Hospitals in Delhi
Delhi houses the best government hospitals for cancer. The quality treatment and oncologists with years of experience make Delhi government cancer hospitals prominent nationwide. Below is the list of 6 of the top 10 government cancer hospitals in Delhi-
- AIIMS- The country’s most renowned and premium government hospital needs no introduction. Its oncology unit, Dr B.R. Ambedkar Institute-Rotary Cancer Hospital, has the best radiotherapy and radio diagnostic machines including stereotactic radiotherapy, state-of-art linear accelerator, and brachytherapy. The hospital also has a vacuum-assisted advanced mammography unit, the first in India, for stereotactic breast biopsy. The hospital has a successfully established hematopoietic stem cell bone marrow transplant program, one of the few centres in the country. The hospital is running a preventive oncology and screening program to detect early stages of cancer among the population.
- Ram Manohar Lohiya Hospital- Formerly known as Willingdon Hospital, Dr Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital was one of the first exclusive cancer care centres in North India. The hospital’s Department of surgical oncology specialises in performing surgeries related to breast cancer, head and neck cancer, gastrointestinal malignancies, breast cancer, and gynaecological cancer. Further, the department provides facia-maxillary, urological, thoracic, and reconstructive surgical care. An outpatient department for surgical oncology is run 6 days a week, supported by radiotherapy, radiology, and nuclear medicine. The hospital runs a free cancer rehabilitation clinic – Ram Manohar Lohia Cancer Support Group, with the help of former cancer patients and health professionals. Patients are taught post-surgical exercises and are provided with diet plans to take care of their health. Currently, the clinic has three programs: the head and neck cancer support group, the breast cancer support group, and dietary counselling.
- Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Hospital- The hospital is a project run by Indraprastha Cancer Society & Research Center, a non-profit public society founded in 1994. It was founded to provide the best comprehensive oncological care; the hospital is now counted among Asia’s premier exclusive cancer centres. Accredited with NABH and NABL, the institute has specialised tertiary care services in medical, surgical, and radiation oncology. The hospital has an independent bone marrow transplant unit that pioneers in stem cell transplants, MUD transplants, unrelated donor transplants, various endoscopies, and renal replacement therapies. The hospital has highly advanced techniques, including intra-operative brachytherapy, whole-body robotic surgery, PET-MRI fusion, tomosynthesis, and Nucleic Acid Testing. At Healthcare Achievers’ Awards 2014, the hospital was awarded the best oncology hospital in India.
- Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Hospital- Lok Nayak Jai Prakash (LNJP) Hospital, the most renowned government hospital in Delhi, has cutting-edge radiation equipment for cancer patients. According to reports, the facility is free to use cancer patients that require FOSAR radiation can get it at LNJP Hospital. Additionally, the experts asserted that the cost of therapy with this device would be between Rs. 5 lakh and Rs. 7 lakh in private institutions, compared to between Rs. 2.5 lakh and Rs. 3 lakh for lesser energy devices. The Delhi government hospital, however, has chosen to keep the expense of the care free.
- Delhi State Cancer Institution- It is an independent medical institution established by the Delhi government in 2006 to provide comprehensive medical care at par with some of the country's best hospitals for cancer patients. This super-speciality hospital was aimed at people who cannot afford expensive cancer treatment in private hospitals. For general-category patients, cancer treatment is free or 30-40% cheaper than that offered in private hospitals and includes medicines, tests, stay and food. There is no waiting list or appointment for any treatment, coupled with advanced diagnostic and treatment facilities such as digital mammography, digital X-ray unit, Ct scanner with RT simulation, and linear accelerators with the latest IGRT and IMRT facilities, which sets this hospital apart.
Above mentioned 5 of the top 10 government cancer hospitals in Delhi are committed to assisting cancer patients with the best treatment and care while battling cancer. They also ensure that they don’t have to worry about paying exorbitant medical bills if they start their treatment at a government cancer hospital in Delhi.
Top 5 Private Cancer Hospitals in Delhi
Delhi, the hub of quality medical services, has the best private hospitals in the country, ensuring the best suitable treatment for their patients. Below are 5 of the best private cancer hospitals in Delhi-
- Sir Gangaram Hospital: Since its establishment in 1997, the Department of Medical Oncology at Sir Ganga Ram Hospital has become one of India's leading institutions for clinical research in medical oncology and bone marrow transplantation (BMT). It has quickly established a distinctive reputation for itself. Tumours and haematological malignancies are managed by the department. Every year, the department sees between 400 and 5000 patients, 2000 of whom are day care clients. Emergency services are accessible 24/7. It is one of the top institutes for bone marrow transplants (BMT), for which patients come from around India and internationally. One of the first departments to perform both autologous and allogenic bone marrow transplants.
Chemotherapy, targeted treatment, and immunotherapy are all offered by the department.
- BLK Super Speciality Hospital: BLK Super Speciality Hospital is one of the leading top cancer hospitals, offering comprehensive care to prevent and cure cancer. The Centre is equipped with state-of-the-art technology, world-class facilities and a highly experienced team of Surgical, Medical and Radiation Oncologists who work in synergy to provide the best possible personalised care. Patients have access to the entire range of Cancer treatments, procedures and specialists, many of whom are internationally recognised experts in their field. The Centre has new technologies that have improved Cancer diagnosis and treatment, ensuring that the patients have access to the most recent and advanced Cancer Care.
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital: The Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals' Apollo Cancer Centre is a comprehensive multidisciplinary hospital with cutting-edge technologies and highly skilled medical professionals. Apollo Hospitals is the top cancer hospital in Delhi because of the highly qualified and experienced medical personnel, nurses, and support staff.
Apollo Hospitals are still regarded as one of the best cancer hospitals in Delhi, in addition to offering a variety of other medical specialities. The Apollo Cancer Institute has the benefit of being a unique location since it is a stand-alone cancer unit with the best assistance from all super specialists and diagnostics. Apollo hospitals prioritise their patients. As a result, they created tumour and group tumour boards and raised awareness of cancer.
- Artemis Hospital: An essential unit of Artemis is the Artemis Cancer Centre, which is manned by a highly qualified and experienced team of oncologists and paramedics and is equipped with top-notch technologies and facilities. Patients from around India, its adjacent nations, and the rest of the world prefer multidisciplinary comprehensive cancer care at the Artemis Cancer Centre for the kind of treatment it caters to its patients.
- Dharamshila Narayana Super Speciality Hospital: The Dharamshila Narayana Superspeciality Hospital in the Delhi-NCR region, formerly Dharamshila Hospital and Research Centre till 31.03.2017, has been a leader in the treatment of cancer for more than 20 years. The unit and Narayana Health started cooperation on April 1st, 2017. At the Narayana Health network hospitals, the Department of Medical Oncology provides cancer care from a staff of certified medical oncologists skilled in diagnosing, planning, and executing chemotherapy, hormonal, biological, and targeted therapies.
With cutting-edge technology and the knowledge of its medical oncologists, Narayana Health aims to provide top-notch cancer treatment services. They provide various cancer treatment options, such as radiation therapy, surgical oncology, and medical oncology.
Palliative Care to Cancer Patients– An Initiative by the Delhi Government
Cancer care is not limited to screening, surgeries, and radiation. In collaboration with the AIIMS cancer department, the Delhi government plans to reach out and provide counselling and palliative care to cancer patients. The state health department will offer palliative care facilities at dispensaries, hospitals, and neighbourhood clinics. This is being done to provide cancer treatment closer to patients' houses. Paying for Expensive Cancer Treatment Through Private and Government Health Insurance Plans
Though timely medical intervention is most needed for cancer patients, treatment procedures and medicines are usually expensive. Higher medical bills often cause financial strain on patients who have cancer and their caregivers. General health insurance plans do not cover the cost of the entire treatment. Hence, it is advisable to avail yourself of comprehensive critical illness insurance coverage. Care Cancer Insurance Mediclaim offers lifelong cancer protection with in-patient hospitalisation, ambulance cover, OPD expenses, alternative treatments, chemotherapy and radiotherapy cover, organ donor cover, etc.
There is a growing need for the development of new cancer centres to handle the rise in the number of cancer patients. Delhi ranks among the states with the highest incidence of breast, cervix-uteri, ovary, oral, lung, and prostate cancers. The national capital has several private government cancer hospitals in hospitals that provide advanced healthcare services to cancer patients.
Furthermore, there are several government schemes to fund cancer treatment, such as Health Minister’s Cancer Patient Fund, The Health Minister’s Discretionary Grants, The Central Government Health Scheme, National Health Protection Scheme, State Illness Assistance Fund, The Chief Minister’s Relief Fund, and The Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund.