Covid-19 which is a contagious disease caused by the deadly coronavirus is spreading quickly and making people across the world extremely worried.
To control the spread of the disease, the only solution that healthcare experts and the government alike are suggesting is to stay at home. A person affected by this virus is at high risk of developing life-threatening medical conditions including pneumonia. Senior citizens and people with chronic health conditions are at greater risk.
Any medical emergency has a financial impact on a family. Many leading insurers like Care Health Insurance (Formerly Religare Health Insurance) offer coverage for expenses related to the treatment of Covid-19. However, the coverage is based on certain terms and conditions. Hence, policy buyers are advised to have clear information before buying a health insurance policy.
>> Check: All You Need to Know About Coronavirus
Dealing with flu had never been a cause of worry for most of us but now even a minor cough or sneeze reminds us of the dangerous effects of this disease. As the virus transfers from one individual to another rapidly, it is essential to take the necessary precautions. Self-isolation and following social distancing are the best way to control the pace at which the disease is spreading.
Why is Self-isolation Required?
The virus spreads when a normal person comes in contact with an infected person. It gets transferred when the affected person coughs or sneezes; or by touching infected surfaces. However, by minimizing contact with other individuals and maintaining distance, the chances of getting infected from the virus greatly reduce.
Self-isolation is required if a person with the Covid-19 condition, someone who comes in direct contact with an infected person or someone who has arrived from an affected country. Such persons should self-isolate themselves for a minimum of 14 days – the incubation period for the disease.
Things You Should Do
- Frequently wash hands with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Make sure you wash hands for at least 20 seconds
- Self-isolate in case you are feeling sick
- Clean surfaces such as tray-tables, doorknobs, railings, and armrests
- Follow respiratory hygiene and wear face masks if you have cough or sneezing
- Cover your mouth while coughing or sneezing with tissues or bend of the elbow
- Throw the used tissues in closed bins
- Maintain a distance of at least one meter from others
- Consume nutritious foods to boost your immune system
- Seek medical help in case you have cough, fever or breathing difficulty
- Take care of elderly people, children and those with pre-existing ailments
Things to Avoid
- Do not touch your nose, mouth, and eyes without washing hands
- Avoid meeting person likely to be affected by the virus
- Stay away from public places
- Avoid leaving the house if you are sick
- Do not shake hands
- Avoid unnecessary travel
- Do not share food or drinks
Owing to the lack of specific treatment for Covid-19, it becomes essential for people to seriously follow the above guidelines and adhere to the advice given by the authorities.
Why Should You Buy Health Insurance?
For any minor or major ailment, it is always better to seek advice from a medical professional instead of choosing self-medication. Getting the best healthcare in India, especially from private hospitals, implies a lot of expenditure. Without a suitable health cover, many families would have to spend a significant amount of their hard-earned savings for availing treatment.
Hence, proper planning is of utmost importance to avoid being cash-strapped particularly during a medical emergency. Opting for health insurance is a wise decision if one is looking to save on medical expenses.
Choose ‘Care’ by Care Health Insurance (Formerly Religare Health Insurance) which is a comprehensive family health cover with a wide range of features, benefits and good coverage for expenses that go beyond hospitalization.