Day Care Treatment
An illness or injury is usually an obstacle in the pursuit of our life goals. Suddenly, health becomes our only priority. In the fast-paced life that we lead, getting prompt medical treatment is a blessing.
Thanks to advancements in healthcare, several medical procedures do not require hospitalisation for more than a single day. Some medical procedures are completed within 24 hours and are known as Day Care Treatment or Day Care Procedures.
Buying a health cover gives you the advantage of day care treatment cover. Before choosing a health policy, you must check the day care treatment list, among other features in the policy. The feature of day care treatment cover in health insurance plans benefits a person significantly, during any planned treatment or an emergency, compared to a few years ago when it was not available.
Day Care Treatment Cover in Health Insurance
Day Care Treatment refers to a medical or surgical procedure that is carried out under general or local anaesthesia and requires hospitalisation of less than 24 hours. A health insurance policy with cover for daycare treatment is beneficial. Under this feature, medical expenses incurred by the policyholder will be borne by the insurer, either through reimbursement or cashless facility.
Day Care Procedures covered in Health Insurance
If you opt for the best health insurance policy, you can avail of cover for various daycare treatments. The coverage is available for a range of surgeries pertaining to:
- Heart: Coronary Angiography
- Eyes: Cataract surgery, removal of foreign body, operations on tear duct, and corrective surgeries.
- ENT: Foreign body removal, Septoplasty, Nasal Sinus Aspiration, Tonsillectomy, Myringotomy with Grommet Insertion, Tympanoplasty, and other operations of the middle and inner ear.
- Tongue: Incision, excision, and destruction of diseased tissue of tongue, Glossectomy, Reconstruction of the tongue, and other surgeries.
- Cancer treatment: Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy
- Other surgeries: Haemodialysis, Colonoscopy, Lesion removal, piles, Appendicectomy, Hydrocele treatment, Lithotripsy, Sclerotherapy, Thoracoscopy, skin surgeries, bone fracture and joint-related surgeries, operations on mouth and face, certain injury-related dental surgeries, etc.
Note: The procedures mentioned above are some of the many procedures covered in health policy. Policyholders must thoroughly read the policy documents to know the various daycare procedures for which their expenses would be covered.
Day care treatment meaning or definition should be clearly understood before a person opts for a policy. An individual must consider the number of procedures covered under one category. At the same time, he or she should also pay attention to the definition of such medical procedures to avoid any confusion. The broader the definition or category is, the more beneficial it is for a policyholder.
Advantages of Day Care Treatment Cover
Cashless treatment: Usually, most of the day care surgery or medial procedures mentioned above would be planned in advance. The patients can easily avail of the cashless treatment facility at any network hospital by notifying their insurer as per the specified time.
Easy claims procedure: A policyholder can choose to apply for a cashless or reimbursement claim. The claim procedure is usually the same as applicable for in-patient hospitalisation.
Convenience: The feature of day care treatment cover also ensures access to timely and quality medical care without any hassle. As we will work to settle the expenses, the policyholders can simply focus on their recovery without worrying about the medical bills.
Savings: Tax benefit is among the key advantages of having a health policy that comes with several features, including day care treatment cover. The policyholder can claim deductions on the premium paid, as per Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Things to Consider When Opting for Day Care Treatment Cover
Day Care Treatment in health insurance plans is a key feature that saves a person from incurring financial loss due to expensive medical treatment that does not required extended stay at a hospital. The coverage is usually up to the sum insured.
If you have a mediclaim policy, you can rest assured as the policy will cover the medical expenses you incur for a daycare procedure. Day care treatment in mediclaim is one of the factors you should consider when opting for a health cover. It would be helpful if you keep the following in mind:
- Sum insured: Opt for a coverage amount that will meet your healthcare needs
- Type of policy: Choose a health cover that best suits your requirements and provides comprehensive cover for medical expenses including daycare procedures
- Exclusions: Read the policy documents to understand the exclusions
- Co-payment: Check the co-payment clause in the policy document so that you can prepare to bear those expenses
- Network hospitals: Go through the list of network hospitals and find out the hospitals that are nearest to your location for easy access to medical care
Secure your health with ‘Care’, a comprehensive family health policy by Care Health Insurance (Formerly Religare Health Insurance), offering cover for over 540 day care treatment procedures. Avail cashless treatment facility at any of the 7800+ network hospitals.