Day Care Treatments in Health Insurance
An illness or injury is usually an obstacle in the pursuit of our life goals. Suddenly, health becomes our only priority. In the fast-paced life that we lead, getting prompt medical treatment is a blessing.
Thanks to the medical advancements, several medical procedures do not require hospitalization for more than a single day. Some medical procedures are completed within 24 hours and are known as Day Care Treatment or Day Care Procedures.
Investing in a health cover secures your finances against enormous medical treatment expenses. It also gives you the advantage of availing the day care treatments cover. Before choosing a health policy, you must check the number of treatments included in the daycare list with other features in the policy. The daycare treatments in health insurance benefit a person significantly, during any planned treatment or an emergency, compared to a few years ago when it was not available.
Advantages of Day Care Treatments Cover
Cashless treatment: Usually, most day care surgeries or medial procedures would be planned, in advance. The patients can easily avail of the cashless treatment facility at any network hospital by notifying their insurer as per the specified time.
Easy claims procedure: A policyholder can choose to apply for a cashless or reimbursement claim. The claim procedure is usually the same as applicable for in-patient hospitalization.
Convenience: The day care treatments feature in health policy ensures access to timely and quality medical care without any hassle. As we will work to settle the expenses, the policyholders can simply focus on their recovery without worrying about the medical bills.
Savings: Tax benefit is among the key advantages of having a health policy with several features, including day care treatments cover. The policyholder can claim tax deductions on the premium paid, as per Section 80D of the Income Tax Act, 1961.
Day Care Treatments Cover in Health Insurance
Day Care Treatments refers to a medical or surgical procedure carried out under general or local anesthesia and requires hospitalization of less than 24 hours. A health insurance policy with cover for day care treatments is beneficial. Under this feature, the policyholder's medical expenses will be borne by the insurer, either through reimbursement or a cashless facility.
Day Care Procedures covered in Health Insurance
Choosing the best health insurance policy enables you to avail of cover for various day care treatments. The coverage is available for a range of surgeries related to:
- Heart: Coronary Angiography
- Eyes: Cataract surgery, removal of foreign body, operations on tear duct, and corrective surgeries
- ENT: Foreign body removal, Septoplasty, Nasal Sinus Aspiration, Tonsillectomy, Myringotomy with Grommet Insertion, Tympanoplasty, and other operations of the middle and inner ear
- Tongue: Incision, excision, and destruction of diseased tissue of the tongue, Glossectomy, Reconstruction of the tongue, and other surgeries
- Cancer treatment: Radiotherapy and Chemotherapy
- Other surgeries: Haemodialysis, Colonoscopy, Lesion removal, piles, Appendicectomy, Hydrocele treatment, Lithotripsy, Sclerotherapy, Thoracoscopy, skin surgeries, bone fracture, and joint-related surgeries, operations on mouth and face, certain injury-related dental surgeries, etc.
Note: The procedures mentioned above are some of the many day care procedures covered in health policy. Policyholders must thoroughly read the policy documents to know the various day care procedures covered.
One should understand the definition or meaning of day care treatments in health insurance before opting for it. Moreover, an individual must consider the number of procedures covered under one category. At the same time, they should also pay attention to the definition of such medical procedures to avoid any confusion. The broader the definition or category is, the more beneficial it is for a policyholder.
Things to Consider When Opting for Day Care Treatments Cover
Day Care Treatments coverage in health insurance plans is a key feature that saves a person from incurring financial loss due to expensive medical treatment that does not require an extended hospital stay. The coverage is usually up to the sum insured.
If you have a mediclaim policy, you can rest assured as the policy will cover the medical expenses you incur for a daycare procedure. In mediclaim, it is the vital factor you should consider. It would be helpful if you keep the following in mind:
- Sum insured: It is logical to consider the medical inflation factor that has made day care treatments expensive. Opt for a coverage amount that will meet your healthcare needs.
- Type of policy: Whether an individual policy or a family floater option, choose a health cover that best suits your requirements and provides comprehensive cover for medical expenses, including daycare procedures.
- Exclusions: Read the policy documents to understand the cases where you are not eligible to get a claim under the policy.
- Co-payment: Check the co-payment clause in the policy document so that you can prepare to bear a certain percentage of your treatment expenses.
- Network hospitals: Review the network hospitals list and find out the hospitals nearest to your location for immediate access to medical care.
Process of Filing Day Care Claims in Health Insurance
Among the foremost things to do when opting for a health insurance policy is to find out the procedures to notify the insurer and file a claim. Also, it is vital to inform the insurer about the hospitalization as per the stipulated time. All these steps will help prevent any last-minute hassles.
To avail of the day care treatments in health insurance, you must follow the same claim process for in-patient hospitalization cover available in a regular health plan. For any planned or emergency treatment, one can avail of the cashless facility at a network hospital. It is convenient, and you need not make any upfront payment. One can approach a network hospital impaneled with us. The initial steps include contacting the insurance desk, submitting a pre-authorization form, presenting the health card, and required ID proof to get admission.
If a person chooses a non-network hospital for treatment, he/she can apply for a reimbursement claim by submitting the mandatory documents, including the medical practitioner's referral letter advising hospitalization.
Secure your health with ‘Care’, a comprehensive family health policy by Care Health Insurance (Formerly Religare Health Insurance), offering cover for over 541 day care treatments. Avail cashless treatment facility at any of the 8350+ network hospitals.
*Please read the policy T & C, brochure, and prospectus to know more about our health insurance plans. We will settle the claims, subject to policy terms and conditions.