This World Asthma Day, take a step forward towards healthy living and follow safety tips to prevent COVID-19.
The ongoing pandemic is an indication that health will remain the top-most priority for all of us in the times to come. COVID-19 is a respiratory disease that poses greater health risks for the elderly and people with comorbidities. Asthmatics also need to be cautious as the infection can lead to asthma attack and other severe conditions.
Staying away from things that can trigger asthma symptoms is an integral part of asthma treatment. Given the current scenario, one can never rule out the possibilities of medical emergencies. However, having a contingency plan to tackle an unexpected rise in medical expenses is a step in the right direction. Hence, investing in health insurance is advisable. Care Health Insurance provides different types of health plans for the specific needs of individuals and families.
Here’s how asthmatics can lead a healthy life and take steps to stay safe during the pandemic.
Asthma and Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19)
Asthma is a chronic medical condition where airways in the lungs get inflamed, causing breathing problems. Airborne allergens and respiratory infections are some asthma triggers. The symptoms include shortness of breath, tightness in the chest, coughing, and wheezing.
On the other hand, COVID-19 is a disease caused by the novel coronavirus. The two conditions have similar symptoms, but there are other symptoms of COVID-19 like fever, dry cough, body aches, loss of smell or taste, etc.
Talking about asthma and COVID risk, people with asthma do not have a higher risk than other individuals with comorbidities. However, they need to be careful when it comes to protecting themselves against the virus.
Tips for Asthmatics on Living a Healthy Life
Many experts say that asthma is a condition that cannot be cured but can be effectively managed by leading a healthy lifestyle. The foremost step is to create an action plan by consulting a doctor. In addition, it is essential to follow the recommended asthma treatment while regularly monitoring your health.
Additionally, here are some tips on living well that will help asthmatics to cope with their condition, especially in this current pandemic situation:
- Identify the trigger factors like pollen, air pollutants, stress, etc. and take measures to prevent them.
- Go for regular health check-ups and monitor your condition to detect any warning sign.
- Follow the prescribed medications, including inhalers, and make sure you have adequate supplies.
- Do not stop the medication or change the asthma treatment plan without consulting a doctor.
- Keep your house clean and dust-free. Use disinfectants that are less likely to trigger an attack.
- Ensure that your home is well-ventilated as it will also minimise the risks of airborne infection.
- Pay attention to other factors like stress and control them as they can trigger asthma attacks.
- Follow a healthy diet plan with plenty of fruits, vegetables & fibre. Avoid allergy-causing foods.
- Have sufficient intake of green tea and black tea, which is beneficial for lung health.
- Moderate exercise keeps the lungs healthy. Create a strategy, depending on your health condition.
- Practice breathing techniques and yoga that are known to enhance lung functions.
- Wearing a mask is advisable to safeguard your health against the new virus.
The asthma signs and symptoms can often impact one’s everyday life and make it difficult to carry on with daily activities. Therefore, proper treatment and religiously following a healthy lifestyle can make a big difference. In this pandemic, it is crucial for you to take apt measures to secure the health of family members. Now, one can register for COVID-19 vaccination using the Aarogya Setu app or the CoWIN portal and protect against the dangerous virus.
Frequent doctor visits and emergency hospitalization can suddenly create a financial burden on your family. Hence, you must consider getting a health cover. Choose Care by Care Health Insurance, a comprehensive family health insurance policy that will cover your immediate family members in a single policy. You can visit CHI’s online portal and get a customised health cover with preferred sum insured and optional benefits like OPD Care.
Disclaimer: The information given in this article is only for reference purpose. We recommend consulting a medical practitioner. We will settle the claims, subject to the policy T&C. Please read the policy documents carefully.