Good night sleep is essential and works as a gateway to improve your body's mechanism. However, in this hustle-centric world, work-stress, responsibilities, technology, social media, and web series make people bad sleepers. Sleep is the first thing that hit hard due to sedentary lifestyles. Experts say that adequate sleep is essential for healthcare. It powers your mind and restores the energy of your body. Some people sleep too much, and some people sleep less; this is a state of sleep disorder. Have you ever noticed how many hours do you sleep at night? And how many hours of sleep do you need actually? Let's explore the different stages of sleep and health tips to get an 8 hours sleep schedule.
Stages of Sleep
Proper sleep is one of the vital activities for good health. It is of two types-REM (Rapid Eye Movement) and Non-REM. Read below its different stages:
Stage 1- This is the beginning stage of non-REM sleep that lasts only for a few minutes.
Stage 2- It is the stage of light sleep before you enter deep sleep and lasts not more than 25 minutes.
Stages 3 & 4- These are the stages of non-REM sleep and are the deepest sleep stages.
Stage 5- It is REM sleep that lasts approx 10 minutes. It is the primary dreaming stage of sleep.
Therefore, your body cycles through all these stages of sleep multiple times.
Causes of Poor Sleep
If you are sleeping less than eight hours every night, there are the chances you are sleep deprived. There is a lot of things that can interfere with natural sleep patterns. Some of the common causes of poor sleep are:
- Work stress
- Night shift
- Noisy sleeping environment
- Using a phone or any electronic device close to bedtime
- Depression, anxiety, tension
- Excessive weight
- Eat fried or junk food
- Excessive intake of alcoho
Health Problems Due to Lack of Sleep
People are sleep deprived these days, and their sleep quality has also decreased. Not having an adequate sleep may increase the risk of:
- Sleep apnea
- Heart Attack
How to Get 8 Hours Sleep Daily?
There are many ways to support quality or 8 hours of sleep. Check the below tips:
- Follow healthy lifestyle
- Eat dinner before 8:00 pm
- Take a glass of warm milk before bedtime
- Listen to soothing music
- Watch any informative or comedy content that relaxes your mind
- Try to maintain work-life balance
- Discuss your problems with your near and dear ones
- Do meditations or yoga daily for 15 minutes
- Follow exercise regime daily
- Limit the consumption of alcohol, caffeine, and smoking
Benefits of a Good Sleep
Your body and mind work better in the morning after you had a proper sleep. Below are the benefits health tips of having a good sleep at night:
- You wake up fresh and remain active throughout the day
- Prevent the development of chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension, obesity, etc.
- Your skin and hair will glow
- You read, work and drive properly
- Improves your over-all well being
- You will learn and adapt new things quickly
- Keep in a good mood
Over to You!
Therefore, identify your sleep problems and make efforts to get tight sleep each night. It will increase your energy, efficiency, and overall health. One more thing you can do to refrain from sleepless nights, especially in this pandemic era, is to opt for health policy. Care Health Insurance (formerly Religare Health Insurance) brings you Care Freedom- comprehensive health insurance covering diseases like diabetes, hypertension, and high BMI. Garb it now and get rid of all the financial and healthcare worries that kept you awake at night.