Varicose vein is one of the common health problems affecting a large number of people in India, particularly those in the middle-age. It is a medical condition in which the veins become swollen, twisted, and enlarged. It commonly occurs in the legs and ankles of a person mainly because of weakening and damage of small valves in the veins. Thus, it causes the blood to collect, resulting in swollen veins that become visible as dark blue or purple spots on the skin. There are many options for the treatment for varicose veins, and alternative medicine is quite popular among them.
Varicose veins are not an indication of any serious health problem. However, they can cause pain, itching, heaviness, changes in skin color, swelling in the legs, and discomfort. Self-care plays a pivotal role in relieving these symptoms. There are simple home remedies you can try as they are safe and effective.
Home Remedies for Varicose Veins
Several factors may cause varicose veins. Some of them are family medical history, weakening of valves in veins due to aging, pressure on the veins due to obesity, lack of physical activity, and pregnancy. In more severe cases, therapies and surgery may become necessary.
Here are some ways to prevent varicose veins; they are mostly related to lifestyle changes.
- Massage the legs: Gently massaging the legs and the affected skin greatly helps in healing the condition, as it aids in improved blood flow through the veins. You could also use essential oils that have excellent therapeutic properties.
- Elevate your legs: Rest your legs on an elevated position that will reduce pressure in the veins and enhance the circulation of blood. If you are at work, make sure to take regular breaks. Avoid sitting or standing for a long duration.
- Switch to loose clothing: Tight-fitting clothes can curb blood flow and increases risks of this medical condition. Wear comfortable clothing that will ease the problem. Similarly, it would help if you consider low-heeled footwear instead of high heels that are harmful to your veins.
- Make Dietary Changes: Water retention is bad for your condition. So, stay away from salty foods and instead choose potassium-rich food items such as almonds, bananas, potatoes, and leafy vegetables. Include vegetables and fruits containing flavonoids for healthy blood flow.
- Choose Yoga: There are many leg elevation asanas in yoga that help in strengthening and toning the leg muscles, reducing pain, and also increasing blood circulation in the body. Yoga for varicose veins is one of the safest treatment options, and it has other health benefits too.
Prevention is The Key
There are many natural cures for varicose veins like special herbs prescribed as part of varicose veins treatment in Ayurveda.
However, prevention is much better than cure. Furthermore, certain foods like garlic and ginger can do wonders as they have medicinal properties and keep blood vessels healthy.
Also, one should consider other precautionary measures. Regular exercises enable proper blood circulation throughout the body and help in reducing inflammation. Besides, reducing excess body weight is crucial for preventing or treating this medical condition. Keep a watch on your weight through the right lifestyle choices such as healthy eating and exercise.
Any medical treatment can lead to unexpectedly high expenditures. It is wise to choose a health insurance plan that will protect your savings from draining out. Care is a comprehensive health cover by Care Health Insurance (formerly Religare Health Insurance) that offers you numerous benefits, including hospitalisation cover, annual health check-up, and alternative treatment cover.