We take our lungs so granted that we don't even think about them until we diagnosed with respiratory illness. However, they are the vital organs of our bodies that keep us alive. Therefore, it's advisable to prioritize lung health to avoid respiratory diseases. It is difficult to survive with chronic diseases like lung cancer, severe asthma, COPD, and more. But, a few changes in lifestyle, food habits, daily routine, and health insurance can help people to enjoy a normal life. Here we have some dos and don’ts for respiratory diseases patients. But, let’s first understand what its common symptoms are:
Common Symptoms of Respiratory Disorders
Respiratory disorders patients can have the following symptoms:
- Continuous cough
- Wheezing or short breath
- Congestion in the chest area
- Throat ache due to soreness and inflammation
- Blood with a cough
- Swelling in toes and fingers due to improper breathing
- Change in voice
- Body ache
- Do aware of the symptoms of respiratory disorder.
- Do take medicine as prescribed by the doctor.
- Do consult with a doctor and get all tests done without any delay.
- Do keep a peak flow meter to check the breathing.
- Do avoid asthma triggers such as pollen, smoke, dust, animal fur, cold air, and flu.
- Do exercise daily and yoga postures to maintain a healthy weight.
- Do use air purifiers, inhalers, nasal sprays, and mask.
- Do wash hands properly before and after a meal.
- Do cover mouth and nose at the time of coughing and sneezing to stop spreading its germs.
- Do switch to a healthy diet including veggies, fruits, nuts, dairy, and poultry.
- Do understand the causes of respiratory diseases and follow its prevention measures.
- Do opt for comprehensive health insurance plans that cover on-going treatment expenses.
>>Click Here to Read How the Right Health Insurance is Helpful in COPD
- Don’t be around anything that triggers breathing problems, coughing, and sneezing.
- Don’t delay the treatment of respiratory disorder.
- Don’t allow pets if affected with asthma and COPD.
- Don’t smoke and stop chewing tobacco.
- Don’t forget inhalers and nasal sprays. They are helpful during congestion.
- Do not over-exercise; make the right fusion of different easy exercises to stay fit.
- Do not use hair sprays, perfumes, and deodorants.
- Do not eat anything before washing hands.
- Do not cough, sneeze, and spit in the open, it can spread germs.
- Do not eat junk food, it burden the functioning of lungs.
- Don’t afraid; during asthma attack follow the action plan.
- Do not overlook health insurance it gives various benefits and provide financial assistance during emergency.
While, there is no rule book to deal with this life-threatening or chronic illness. The journey of each patient with a chronic illness is unique. Hence, giving equal care to lungs, right treatment on right time, and following these dos and don’ts help the patients to breathe best. As the treatment costs of these diseases are creating a hole in the pockets. Thus, it’s wise to opt for health insurance plan that acts as a safeguard if there is any medical emergency occurs. For better coverage at affordable premium, check this health insurance policy offered by Care Insurance. It covers hospitalization, medicine, treatment, and therapy costs (subject to policy terms and conditions) so that patients can cope up with the diseases well.