Most of us are in a constant race against time to fulfil the unending work deadlines. Do you know what keeps us going all day? It is the food that we eat. Our body requires a good dose of nutrients comprising of proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals. In addition to this, fibre and water are essential for a healthy body. The importance of nutrients in our body cannot be overlooked.
The environment around us poses various health risks. Thus, consuming healthy foods rich in nutrients is crucial to help our body fight against diseases effectively. Otherwise, we might fall prey to various illnesses. Getting medical care can be expensive without the support of health insurance. Having a health cover minimises the financial burden arising due to medical treatment.
Although ailments can occur due to hereditary reasons, environmental and lifestyle factors have also become the leading causes of various illnesses such as diabetes, hypertension and heart diseases. Leading an active lifestyle and consuming nutritious foods are the best ways to reduce such health risks.
This article highlights the significance of having nutrient-rich foods.
The human body requires essential nutrients broadly classified into:
- Macronutrients: These include proteins, carbohydrates, and fats, that human body requires in large amounts.
- Micronutrients: Vitamins and minerals are the micronutrients, required in small but vital doses.
We shall discuss them in details here.
- Proteins: The body requires proteins – also known as building blocks – for development of muscles and overall growth. The antibodies and hormones in the body are formed from proteins. Adding one protein-source in your meal benefits good nutrition for the body. Some sources of proteins include green peas, kidney beans, chickpeas, nuts, cottage cheese (Paneer), lentils, eggs and fish.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates – classified as simple and complex - are the main nutrients in the form of sugar or starch that provide energy to the various cells in the body. They are vital for the proper functioning of various organs. Have adequate carbohydrates will ensure the body does break down the proteins to get energy. Whole grains, fruits and vegetables are some healthy carbohydrates.
- Fats: Good fats like nuts are indispensable for the body. They aid in the absorption of vitamins and minerals, production of hormones, movement of muscles, and immune functions. Unlike trans fats which are harmful to the body, there are unsaturated fats that protect vital organs like the heart. Omega 3 is a class of good fats, and they are available in healthy oils like flaxseed oil and canola oil.
- Vitamins: There are 13 essential vitamins which offer a host of benefits - for instance, Vitamin A for healthy skin, Vitamin D for bone health, Vitamin C for immunity, and Vitamin B complex for metabolism and overall well-being. One should consume a variety of foods for good nutrition like fruits and vegetables so that the body receives all the vitamins naturally.
- Minerals: Our body needs essential minerals for sound health. For instance, Calcium is one of the major minerals required for healthy bones. Sodium and Potassium are also needed for keeping the nerves and muscles healthy. Iron, zinc and magnesium are examples of minerals which are required in small amounts for performing vital functions. Green leafy vegetables and dairy products are foods rich in nutrients like Calcium and Potassium.
- Water: We cannot imagine our lives without water. It is crucial for our survival as the human body contains up to 60 per cent of water, on an average. Water helps in flushing out toxins from the body, carrying nutrients to the body cells and various functions. Drinking plenty of water during the day is a must as it would prevent health problems.
Note: The above information is for reference purposes only.
A healthy diet is the one which has the right balance of all the nutrients mentioned above. Besides, the body also needs fibres, which are available in salads.
Maintaining good health is not a difficult task if you have balanced meals and follow healthy eating habits. Diet is pivotal in controlling medical conditions such as diabetes and hypertension. If you suffer from such ailments, it is advisable to speak to your doctor or a nutritionist to find out the best diet plan which will aid in curing the disease.
Realising the importance of a healthy diet is the first step to keep ailments at bay. At the same time, you must think about securing your finances by investing in health insurance plans. Care Health Insurance offers a range of health policies with several sum insured options.
>> Also Read How Does Your Happy Mood Make You Healthier?
Disclaimer: Plan features, benefits, coverage, and underwriting of claims are subject to policy terms and conditions. Please refer to the brochure, sales prospectus, and policy documents carefully.
Published on 1 Feb 2023
Published on 31 Jan 2023
Published on 30 Jan 2023
Published on 27 Jan 2023
Published on 20 Jan 2023
GET FREE QUOTE