Health Insurance Super Top Up Plan
A serious medical condition can result in gradual loss of savings for a family, owing to expensive treatment. A mediclaim policy provides the much-needed financial safety against drastic impact of huge medical expenses.
However, as healthcare costs are rising, it is likely that your existing cover suddenly becomes insufficient to cover your risks. What would you do if hospital expenses exceed the sum insured of your health policy?
Anticipating this situation, you could choose to upgrade your existing policy; but it could lead to high premium cost. So, there is another affordable option - buying a super top up health insurance plan. This plan has numerous benefits and differs from top up plans that cover only a single claim.
This article highlights the need for buying a super top up plan.
Super Top up Plan Vs Top up Plan
Before we proceed, let us get the answer to this question - what is top up plan in health insurance?
Top up in health insurance refers to an additional coverage to an existing health policy. That is, it is a policy wherein the insured person is eligible to get increased sum assured at affordable premium.
However, top up health insurance is a type of policy which covers expenses arising from a single hospitalization. On the other hand, super top up plans offer coverage for cumulative hospitalisation expenses in a policy year are taken into account.
These policies work on the principle of deductible which is a pre-decided claim amount that the insured person has to pay before he or she can get coverage.
Reasons to Opt for Super Top up Health Insurance
Super top up health insurance would offer benefits such as in-patient care, day care treatment and cover for pre-hospitalisation and post-hospitalisation medical expenses. Some major advantages of opting for this policy are:
- Affordability: You may have to pay higher premium amount on purchasing a health policy with high sum insured. Super top up plans prove to be an affordable option as they come with high deductible amount at low premium cost.
- Maximum Health Coverage: Super top up policies are available as individual policy and family floater policy. This means, you can get your entire family including your parents covered under the same policy.
- Financial Safety: The sum insured offered by super top up plans serves as an added financial cushion for your existing policy. So, if you incur high medical expenditure, then this policy is highly recommended.
While a top up plan would lapse after one claim is settled; a super top up plan will remain valid till the entire cover is exhausted. Clearly, super top up plans have an edge over regular top up plans because they cover multiple claims.
Before buying super top up health insurance, make sure you remember the below-mentioned facts:
The deductible would apply on aggregate basis in a policy year. It implies that the policy will start offering coverage only when the total amount of all claims made by the policyholder exceeds the deductible.
- The premium paid for this policy will depend on various factors such as age of the member, medical condition, sum insured, policy tenure, deductible chosen, type of policy (individual or floater), etc.
- It is advisable that you have a base policy to cover the claim amounts below the deductible. Else, you would have to bear the expenses from your own pocket.
- Policyholders are advised to always read the policy documents carefully to understand the inclusions and exclusions.
Avail maximum health coverage by opting for ‘Enhance’ which is a super top up plan by Care Health Insurance (Formerly Religare Health Insurance).