What a million-dollar smile! You feel good when you hear this compliment. Your teeth are the part of your appearance and enhance your confidence. But, are you maintaining proper oral hygiene to keep that smile till you grow old? In India, most of the population, including children, suffer from oral diseases such as dental caries, periodontal diseases, dental fluorosis, loss of teeth, joint disorders, dental trauma, and oral cancer. Dental healthcare is secondary to them.
Moreover, lack of proper dental infrastructure in public hospitals is also a problematic situation for common people. As a result, people have to go to private dentistry where the simple dental procedures become out of pocket expenses. So, as prevention is always better than cure, you can read how you can keep your teeth healthy:
Quick Ways to Maintain Oral Hygiene
Many people still take dental healthcare for granted until it has become a severe disease. However, it reduces the risk of dental caries, oral cancer, tooth extraction, loose gums, etc. Read below the easy ways to follow dental hygiene at home:
- Brushing your teeth should be your morning and bedtime time ritual that you should follow religiously.
- Use a toothbrush with soft-bristles
- Clean your tongue once daily with a toothbrush or soft tongue cleaner.
- Avoid hard toothbrushes, forceful brushing, and also gel-type pastes. They are not suitable for your teeth and mouth.
- Use interdental brushes or dental floss instead of toothpicks or safety pins to remove food from your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash after you brush your teeth every day.
- Clean braces or dentures using cleansing tablets or solutions to make them disinfected
- If possible, keep your dentures in a glass of disinfectant solution overnight.
- Never leave the feeding bottle in your child’s mouth for a long
- Use a toothbrush with a flexible handle and brush using vibratory up-to-down strokes twice daily
- Avoid excessive sugary; hot and cold drinks-they can damage your gums and create sensitivity.
- Do self-examination of your mouth to check for red and white patches, ulcers, etc.
- Go to the dentist for a dental checkup twice in a year
- Avoid self-medication whenever you feel any toothache, loose gums, bleeding, or ulcers; consult with the dentist immediately.
- Quit smoking and tobacco
Tips to Brush Your Teeth
Most people even do not know the right way to brush their teeth. They do it rigorously that damage gums and teeth. Here you can read the proper technique to brush your teeth:
- You should brush your teeth for 2 minutes, and that is to slowly
- Spend at least 30 seconds on each quadrant of your mouth
- Try to hold your brush at a 45-degree angle pointed towards the gums
- Properly brush the sides and the chewing surface on top of the mouth
- Brush your teeth twice a day
So, maintaining proper oral hygiene will help to control other systemic ailments. Furthermore, one more thing you can do for your healthcare is to opt for health insurance. We, at Care Health Insurance, offer Care- it is a comprehensive health policy that provides dental coverage(subject to policy terms and conditions)along with chronic and critical illnesses. Take a look at the plan and secure yours and your family’s sparkling smile forever.