Advance medical science has found a cure for life-threatening diseases like cancer. Recently, you must have heard about oral chemotherapy. It is one of the wonders in healthcare that brings new hopes for the patients. It is a radical change the way doctors treat cancer patients. However, the infusion therapies are the conventional forms of the treatments used to kill cancerous and even non-cancerous cells. They are also equally important depends on the stage of cancer. These therapies led to many adverse effects, such as hair loss, low white blood cell counts, low appetite, nausea, etc. The new oral drugs are invented to target only the specific cancer cells and prevent the other healthy cells from damage. So, let's get into some more details of this type of treatment of cancer:
What is Oral Chemotherapy?
It is the form of cancer treatment under which drugs, pills, or liquids give to cancer patients orally (from the mouth instead of intravenous ). It means that instead of admitting to the hospital for a long duration, patients can continue the treatment at home. This treatment needs strict doctor consultation, vigilance, strict adherence, and regular check-ups.
Benefits of Oral Chemotherapy
Treatment of cancer has an extended period. At times, it's difficult for patients to stay in the hospital emotionally as well as financially. Thus, it is more accessible, below are its benefits:
- Allows patients to get the treatment at the comfort of their homes
- Reduced frequency of administration and hospitalization
- Improved quality of life and reduces the discomfort of injections, cannula or PICC line
- Less expensive than conventional chemotherapy and radiotherapy
How to Begin Oral Chemotherapy?
Before starting it, one should consult with the doctor and ask the following things:
- Stage of Cancer
- Treatment plan with duration
- Side effects of the medicines
- Recovery rate
- Time and way of taking the drugs
- Diet chart during the treatment
- Ways to tackle nausea, vomit, or fever during medication
- Supplementary drugs for pain
- Duration of further diagnosis like PETScan
- Whom to Contact in case of emergency
When to Consult with the Doctor?
Oncologists recommend oral chemotherapy only after the proper examination of the patient's reports and stage of cancer. However, patients can consult with their doctors if they experience the below problems:
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
- More than100F fever
- Nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea
- Acute pain body pain
- Skin rashes or change in skin color
- Mouth ulcers or oral mucositis
How does Cancer Mediclaim help?
Oral chemotherapy is, however, less expensive than conventional chemotherapy, radiotherapy, or surgery. But, due to rising medical inflation, the cost of medical treatment is skyrocketing these days. As a result, the treatment of cancer becomes out of expense for many. To ensure the right and timely treatment for cancer patients, Care Health Insurance (formerly Religare Health Insurance) offers Cancer Mediclaim. It covers hospitalization and medication expenses for cancer treatment, including oral chemotherapy (subject to policy terms and conditions). The number of cancer cases reported every year in India. It's always good to stay safe and secured. Opt for our cancer mediclaim and live worry-free.