It is our eyes that help us see the beautiful creations in the universe. Do we not wish to have perfect eyesight as that of a hawk? Ironically, the constant use of mobile phones and computers has made us susceptible to eye-related problems. Millions of Indians have vision problems and corrections; although, medical advancements have helped in treating many eye disorders.
Eyes are an important sense organ in the body. Good vision is vital for us to perform our daily tasks effectively. Maintaining eye health is as crucial as monitoring other vital organs in the body. Having good food for eyes has enormous positive effects. Some nutrients boost eye health and relive us from various eye problems.
Nutrients Good for the Eyes
Some of the nutrients for healthy eyes include:
- Vitamin A, C, and E
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Read on to know the benefits of these nutrients and the sources containing them.
- Vitamin A: Deficiency of Vitamin A is one of the causes of blindness. There are cells in the eyes known as Photoreceptors that need this nutrient to function normally. Lack of Vitamin A can lead to night blindness, dryness of eyes, and other severe medical conditions. You can get Vitamin A through carrots, tomato, and green leafy vegetables.
- Vitamin C: It is found in fruits such as guava and oranges, and vegetables like broccoli. Vitamin C is an antioxidant vital for healthy eyes. Individuals who develop cataract tend to have low antioxidants, some experts say.
- Vitamin E: It is a fat-soluble antioxidant that is beneficial in protecting the retina in the eyes. Almonds, spinach, avocados, vegetable oils, and wheat germ oil are good sources of vitamin E. For healthy eyes food rich in Vitamin E reduces the risk of cataract due to ageing, as per some recent studies.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: It is widely known that Omega-3 fatty acids have an important to play in maintaining heart health. However, they also support normal eye functioning and the prevention of eye diseases. They are available in plant oils, fish, nuts, and seeds.
- Zinc: It is a mineral that helps in supplying Vitamin A from the liver to retina for aiding melanin production. Melanin is a natural skin pigment and is present in the Iris of the eyes. One should have good food for eyes containing zinc. Some examples include whole grains, nuts, chickpeas, and milk products.
Quick Tips for Healthy Eyes
- Have meals comprising of vital nutrients for healthy eyes
- Exercise regularly to improve blood circulation and oxygen supply to the eyes
- Avoid looking at a computer screen continuously to reduce eye strain
- Take a restful sleep at night and avoid the use of mobiles
- Protect yourself from ultraviolet (UV) rays which are harmful to the eyes
Keep in mind the healthy eyes tips given above and stay fit by having a nutritious meal. Secure your health by opting for medical insurance from Care Health Insurance. Enjoy tax benefits and avail of increased coverage through No Claim Bonus. Visit our official website to choose the best policy now.
Disclaimer: Underwriting of claims for Eyes diseases is subject to policy terms and conditions.